DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have the problem of your Ram downshifting to get up the slightest hill when using cruise control. Is there anything that can be done to fix this problem.

Thanks

·
Same Name, Different Game
9,640 Posts
If you have a tow/haul mode, use that. It will keep your truck from using over drive on the hills.

·
Registered
589 Posts
4.56gears !!!!
Batman

·
Banned
754 Posts
4.56 gears. there aint a hill in the southeast that can make my truck downshift lol

·
Registered
12,551 Posts
yeah, you need to swap out your grears..

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Why is downshifting a problem? Won't hurt a thing and in my humble opinion it sounds good when it does it. You should hear mine hit 2nd gear on the steep uphills towing! It sounds like the beast has escaped! The super tall O/D ratio with the moderate 3.73 ratio is for easy cruising mileage only. There's no hill climbing or towing power in O/D with 3.55 or 3.73 gears.

·
287 cu inches of pain
1,137 Posts
Constant downshifting is bad because it causes heat in the tranny, and that will wear it out much faster, it also kills gas mileage. Gears will really help with the problem.

Andrew

·
Whiskey Bent & Hell Bound
2,277 Posts
Heres another solution: Flashpaq (adjustable shift points).

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
But the gears is so much more fun....:D

Don't fear the gear!!!! :rck:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
2k2_AtlanticBlu said:
Constant downshifting is bad because it causes heat in the tranny, and that will wear it out much faster, it also kills gas mileage. Gears will really help with the problem.

Andrew
I agree, constant downshifting is bad and causes heat. Our electronic controlled transmissions don't "hunt" like the old vacuum controlled trannies did. But they will downshift on every uphill if the rear end gear is tall enough. This won't hurt anything and the lower rpm helps mileage on the flats. If you don't want to hear it downshift on every uphill, then by all means, gear it low enough that it's already running high enough rpm that it doesn't need to downshift. Like running in direct drive all the time. Going from 3.55 to 4.56 will put you at close to the same rpm with the 3.55 in direct or the 4.56 in O/D. Lock out O/D with the 3.55 (unless it's an '05) and you'll have the same effect. No downshifting because it's already running 2400~rpm at 70mph. And stay out of the city. It shifts constantly in city traffic regardless of gear ratio. :D

Just the same, I keep thinking about the 4.56 gear as I "can't" lock out O/D with my '05. The 4.56 in O/D would put me at just under the same rpm I run in 3rd (direct) with the 3.73. This would be good for towing 65-70mph in rolling hills. The only drawback would be, with the 3.73 I can run in 2nd gear at 60mph right at 4200rpm 375 X 1.67 peak torque for 300hp flywheel on the steep uphills. The 4.56 would be 3500rpm in direct or 2400rpm in O/D with 2nd out of reach at 60mph. Towing is a little different than empty haul ass. You have to match the overall gear ratios to the speed you normally tow. I wonder what the cost would be for a 4.56 installed in a 4X2 2500...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.