DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Thread Derailer
1,854 Posts
Thanks for the "tip". LOL

I tried pulling it half way out, I treid holding the little ribbed cover on the nozzle back sort of like you would if you were filling a 2 gallon plastic gas can. J.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I CAN'T RESIST!!!!!

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!

·
Registered
11,180 Posts
just put the nozzle in halfway and it should fill up, mine also does this if the pumps are fast flowing

remember its the pump that turns off the gas not your truck
Yeah but the pump turns off because it detects backpressure (your tank is full and it can sense that the pressure is building up so it shuts off). If you have no venting in your tank when filling, then it's going to keep shutting the pump off.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hmmm have you crawled under the truck?

Sounds to me like your wife got a little carried away jumping and hi centering the truck when she borrowed it. Those smashed gas tanks can only hold a couple gallons at a time. :)

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Hmmm have you crawled under the truck?

Sounds to me like your wife got a little carried away jumping and hi centering the truck when she borrowed it. Those smashed gas tanks can only hold a couple gallons at a time. :)
Ive actually seen that awhile back..

But these tanks are plastic.. they would break before they bend..

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
So here is the deal...

Was able to get under the truck today since the rain stopped...

Took off all the tubes from the kneck filler to the (or at least what I think is the) charcoal filter. From what I have read if there is no fuel in the lines and everything seems clear there must be a problem with the "roll over valve" in the gas tank. I am not really sure what this means completely.

So after putting everything back together I have not tried to put gas in it. I plan on at least trying to in the morning.

Those quick release tubes are slick... Once you figure them out lol

·
Registered
322 Posts
Just happened to me

This just happened to my truck. Actually, it is now my son's truck. He just got his license and I gave him the truck to drive. Can't get more than about a gallon in at a time. I was hoping to find a definitive answer. Did anyone find out why this is happening?????

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
No answer as of yet. I can tell you that I am getting ver frustrated. I have taken off all the hoses and still can not figure out what has happened. At this point I am thinking something inside the tank is causing the problem. May have to get a new one unless someone has a magic answer.

J.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Frustration

So - it looks like it is the same old story. What should be a $100 fix will turn into a $2,000 repair. Then the U.S. auto manufacturers wonder why we give up and buy foreign. Gheeeeezzzzzzz.........

·
Cole
880 Posts
on our mb-4 colemans that we use to pull the jets with in usaf they have a filter that clogs up very easily and then you have to leave the nozzle open only just a litte bit and it takes like an hour to fill the tank could be something like that or if someone did try to siphon your take there should be a filter or a stopper in the line on the newer trucks to prevent it if they broke that or bent it that could be why also would love to hear what is the cause from this one

·
Hoesli
200 Posts
Sounds like a good time to get a titan tank

·
Registered
322 Posts
Filler neck

I was checking out my truck today to see if I could figure out the problem. Is there supposed to be a little "flapper" door in the filler neck??? When I remove the gas cap, there is just an open hole. My other cars have a little "flapper". I'm wondering if it may have broken off and is jamming the filler tube.

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
When you drop the tank, take off the rubber filler hose and look down the plastic nipple going into the tank. You will see a spring loaded check valve. Use a long screwdriver or something and press it up and down. It should move freely and close on its own. If it doesnt move freely then there is your issue. You have to replace the tank. The tanks are not plastic on the inside. They are metal on the inside and in a plastic outer housing.

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
Maybe the truck is sick of the brand of feul you're feeding it and doesn't want it any more.

weedahoe is right; it's the check valve in the bottom of the tank. It was a very common problem on the 03-05 trucks.

:(

·
Registered
322 Posts
In case others are interested.......

I might have solved my problem. With all the single digit temperatures we have been having, freezing rain and snow storms, I figured it be partially to blame. Looking down between the cab and the bed, there was a lot of ice buildup on the sending unit on top of the tank. I took a long thin piece of wood and used it to GENTLY chip the ice build up off the tank. I then poured a de-icer into the tank and let it sit for a couple of hours thinking maybe the flow valve stuck because of frozen condensation. At that point, I was able to pour about 3 gallons of fuel into the tank using a gas can. So, I went to the gas station and had no trouble filling it up. I had to fill it up once more after that with no trouble. So, for some of us, it might be just frozen condensation on the flow valve. Maybe. I hope.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I haven't done anything to figure out the problem on my truck, but (knock on wood) the last three times I have filled it the problem seemed to be gone. The same thing happened once before so I expect the problem to come back but it's odd that it comes and goes.

I don't remember the weather conditions last time it stopped but I don't think it's a freezing problem with mine. It rarely stays below freezing for extended periods of time here. I don't drive the truck regularly so it's tough to remember certain conditions over a period of time.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I haven't done anything to figure out the problem on my truck, but (knock on wood) the last three times I have filled it the problem seemed to be gone. The same thing happened once before so I expect the problem to come back but it's odd that it comes and goes.
Same here. Comes and goes. Temp has not played into it. It has done it in summer at 90 degrees and winter at 20 degrees.

·
Cali Grown
326 Posts
I thought this thread would be because you were hitting the 75 or 100 dollar limit on the pumps (Damn CA Gas) but then I saw that you let your wife drive your truck and I knew it was much much more.

:)

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
this happens on my truck also... just insert the nozzle half way and let it rip

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.