DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been dreading this day; found 2 spots on my rear driver side fender, one is a paint bubble, and its "crunchy", and other is next to it, and its brown rust bleeding thru..both about the size of a dime.

i'd like to fix this asap! what are my DIY options? i'd rather not have to repaint the whole quarter, and clear coat blending is OUT of my painting capabilities. So, before I take it to a body shop and give them my life savings for a mediocre job, anyone every do "paint on fender flares"? like, adding a silver strip 1.5" in width, around the fender lip, and match it to the lower body silver? that way i'd only be sanding/painting a small area, and i wouldn't have to blend? so like, it would look like a silver fender flare, painted on? am i making sense? i think i've seen this on other trucks, not sure though..

Attachments

·
Registered
11,180 Posts
Welcome to the club...

Attachments

·
Site Administrator
22,963 Posts
Man, I love Arizona. None of that stuff running around here. I had my project car media blasted and it sat bare metal in my garage for a year with no rust !

You really can't do anything but get it fixed.

·
Registered
16,621 Posts
Its a everyday thing with these anymore. Mine had bubbles over the rear wheels when I bought it and I glued (duramix) patch panels in and then blended them in. Im glad i have the talent to do it (its my job) because it is soooo time consuming i wouldn't want to pay someone to do it and I wont do them for people because i have more time in it then I can charge.

·
Registered
683 Posts
The problem with just sanding and sealing is if you don't get all of it, it'll keep spreading. The only way to be sure is to replace the metal. You could always see if you can find after market panels. It'd be quicker and easier to replace the whole panel than cut out a chunk and weld/shape a replacement piece.

·
Registered
11,180 Posts
Its not salt that does it. It's water. There is a foam sealent behind the panel and it gets wet and never dries out.
It's the salt too. That's why cars from Florida don't look like cars from Canada. It still rains in Florida... :D

·
Registered
481 Posts
i wish my rust only looked that bad :bawl:. I got it alot worse under the rocker panels on both sides. Last years surgery apparently did nothing, going to have to re-think it this summer. Gotta love the Canadian winters :D

·
Always Broke!
801 Posts
Wow. I drive my truck on salty roads all winter here in Canada, and it has 218,000 km, and it has no rust at all! Mind you I wash it everytime I go to town.

·
PAID OFF!!!
7,637 Posts
Ive never owned a vehile that didnt have rust past 6 or 7 years. It sucks living in the salt belt.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Rams rust on the rear wheel wells. Sucks, but a fact of life. Kill the rust forever by getting linex fender flares. Looks friggin sweet. Have them pattern after the power wagon flares. Looks oem and the rust problem is gone forever. When you get a little more loot, have them linex the rockers...cuase they are next. We use more salt in Michgian than the rest of the country combined it seems like!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rams rust on the rear wheel wells. Sucks, but a fact of life. Kill the rust forever by getting linex fender flares. Looks friggin sweet. Have them pattern after the power wagon flares. Looks oem and the rust problem is gone forever. When you get a little more loot, have them linex the rockers...cuase they are next. We use more salt in Michgian than the rest of the country combined it seems like!
this is what i'm thinking I'm going to do..i'll sand the shit out of it and herculiner everything.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I had this problem on my (2G) '01 Ram. It was on both the fenders and bottoms of the front doors. I used body filler and repainted my doors and put fender flares on over the wheel well rust.

A couple of questions (trying to see if there are any patterns to this)...

1) Did you have the truck undercoated? If so, was it during the winter or summer months?

2) Do you do any car washing (by hand) during the winter time?

3) Do you hose off the undercarriage at all during the winter time?

4) Do you park in a garage at your house (especially in the winter)?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had this problem on my (2G) '01 Ram. It was on both the fenders and bottoms of the front doors. I used body filler and repainted my doors and put fender flares on over the wheel well rust.

A couple of questions (trying to see if there are any patterns to this)...

1) Did you have the truck undercoated? If so, was it during the winter or summer months?

2) Do you do any car washing (by hand) during the winter time?

3) Do you hose off the undercarriage at all during the winter time?

4) Do you park in a garage at your house (especially in the winter)?
I didn't have the truck undercoated; I bought it last year though w/ 40k, so not sure, but it is an 03, so...and for what its worth, the truck looks great underneath, and I want to keep it that way! I've had great luck with dodges, and I work on trucks everyday (rv dealership, I see lots of trucks, install 5th wheel hitches and whatnot, and I always thought the dodges held up great around here).

I use automatic car wash w/ undercarriage religiously, typically after any storm passes, and at least once a week year round.

I park outside.

·
Laramie
27 Posts
Hey guys,

I have started to notice this on my spears. Anyone else had this. They are on a Laramie and Chrome coated. I'm thinking about taking them off cleaning them back and spraying them black...

·
Registered
11,180 Posts
Wow. I drive my truck on salty roads all winter here in Canada, and it has 218,000 km, and it has no rust at all! Mind you I wash it everytime I go to town.
You don't have salt on your roads up there do you? I'm pretty sure salt is ineffective at anything under -20c so they start using sand up North...

·
Registered
11,180 Posts
i wish my rust only looked that bad :bawl:. I got it alot worse under the rocker panels on both sides. Last years surgery apparently did nothing, going to have to re-think it this summer. Gotta love the Canadian winters :D
The Green ******* from Parts Unknown!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.