DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I'm a bit stumped, and I'm hoping somebody can give me some advice before I go buy a new o2 sensor. I have 2 sensors; one before the converter and one after. I took out my catalytic converter for some time and ran just a test pipe. Soon after, I got a trouble code... understandable. Well, I put a magnaflow converter (along with flowmaster and dual outs) back in there, took my truck to autozone and had them clear the code(s). Soon, the light popped up again. So, I took it back to autozone, he said it was a P0138, downstream o2 sensor. He cleared it again, but it came right back on. A guy at Advance auto told me that running without a converter would ruin the o2 sensor, but he didn't really give me much reason to believe him. is this possible? is it possible that the magnaflow converter is causing the sensor to throw a code? i guess it's possible that, by coincidence, my sensor just went amidst all this tinkering with the exhaust.

any help is appreciated. i can deal with the light, but my truck runs like crap when cold, and i'd like to know if a new sensor will fix my problem. thanks.

D

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
If you have a O2 sensor after the cat and you remove the cat, the engine would throw a code and/or not run right. They do make "sims" that simulate oxygen sensors. I can't remember where I saw them. They'll clear up your problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have only a single O2 sensor in the cat and I took the guts out of the cat, it runs fine. But when I did this I did break the O2 sensor truck ran like crap till I put in a new one. Now it runs fine

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.