DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I had the back valve stems replaced on my 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan SE. The driver side one was corroded and part of it broke off. The passenger side one wasn't broken off but was leaking. I think the back ones were both aluminum but the front ones are rubber.

Anyway, the garage tole me the TPMS was leaking and that replacing the valves means that the TPMS light will always stay on. I'm OK with that. I don't need an idiot light to tell me if the tires are soft (I'm old like that - this is the very first vehicle I ever owned that had such a thing and I never even heard of such a think before I got this van).

I would like to know though what exactly is this TPMS thing, how does it work, and if using plain rubber valve stems is OK or if I should replace the TPMS sensors on those back tires too? Where are they located? Is it a hard job? I'm told it can be expensive. Is it?

I'd like to know a little more about this. For now, I'm perfectly OK ignoring that tire pressure warning light and just glad the tires are fixed and not leaking. And I can old-school keep check on things like I have for the past 30 years I've been driving. :)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts