Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so there might be a new addition to my family, a boat! :rck:

Just wondering if i can tow this (very short distance, AKA from storage to boat ramp).

Still not sure on the exact weight, but some like it say 3000-4000lbs?
Its a 2004 Crownling 20' Bowrider 202..

Anyways my truck has the towing package, stock 4.7l,its 2wd with a 6" lift and 35" Nitto trail grappler's.

Am i going to slip while trying to pull it in and out?
heres my truck

photo(14).jpg

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's the boat.

96680108_1thumb_550x410.jpg

·
Thread Derailer
1,854 Posts
depends on the ramp: is it typically covered in algae (slimy), is it sandy, how steep is the grade, how far in do you have to go, etc

also do you have an LSD?

·
~TYLER~
2,389 Posts
you'll be mint, nice boat and truck for that matter.

·
'11 5.7L R/T Classic
4,095 Posts
My butch neighbor (a woman) had an '02 4.7 2wd with a 6 inch skyjacker lift and 35" terra grapplers and she pulled a boat almost exactly like that. I never saw her put it in on a ramp to know if she had any trouble, but she always came back with the truck washed and waxed after a weekend of boating, at least twice a month, so I assume you'll be golden.

·
PAID OFF!!!
7,637 Posts
enjoy

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
you wont have any trouble
my truck has factory goodyears and pulling a boat just as heavy and just as big, i never needed 4x4 on the boat ramp.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I say you'll be fine with the bit of extra tongue weight and those tires.

·
GetALittleMudOnTheTires
8,389 Posts
congrats on the new boat. Enjoy

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have the hemi and my boats about 4000lbs and its not as easy as people say. On flat roads its fine but any type of incline those rpms gotta be up there, and before you go unload it i'd park your truck and go have a look at the ramp because some of them look fine on top but below the water line is a whole other thing. Have fun and remember this, the 2 best days of a boat owner are the day he picks it up and the day he sells it lol. These thigs are a blast but the maintenace on them is sickening

·
Registered
602 Posts
You got that no problem, i know guys that pull 6k on there 4.7. My bro has a 23 ft boat with in inboard and it pulls ok with his wife's 4runner.
You cant expect it to feel like it normally does, but you sure as hell wont get to in incline and start rolling backward on the highway. Oh and I dont own a boat, but we had one growing up and we never need to go below the waterline, in fact my dad would never in a million years let his diff hit the water.
BTW Nice damn Boat.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
depends on the ramp: is it typically covered in algae (slimy), is it sandy, how steep is the grade, how far in do you have to go, etc

also do you have an LSD?

x 2!!! What he said ^^^. I rescued a Chevy 2500 4x4 last year that was slipping into the water backwards on a boatramp. It was full of algae, he had street tires, & ramp was kinda steep. He was SOOOO glad I was there. He would have lost his truck for sure. He could not understand why he only had one wheel on each axle turning. So I had to explain all about lockers to him & that just because it says 4x4, don't mean it is.

·
The White Collar *******
1,807 Posts
Nice boat! As long as you use your judgement before backing in, you should be fine.

Also, it is pretty important that you have a limited slip diff.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I pull a 28 foot Baja and my truck doesnt even know its back there. I do lock into into 4x4 before coming out of the water tho. I dont want to look like a rookie on the ramps with everyone watching.LOL

·
Thread Derailer
1,854 Posts
a lot of people are missing the fact that this guy has a 4.7 (which he should be fine as far as pulling the thing, it's not gonna be a speed racer, but it'll pull it) and he's 2wd
the ramp is the problem, every ramp is different, if it's a ramp full of grip, he's fine, if the ramp looks like swampthing, he could be in trouble. if a 2wd can get stuck on flat ground in grass, what's gonna happen on an algae covered ramp with a steep arse grade and an extra few thousand pounds pulling it in. traction via weight only goes so far, alage kills your coefficient of friction. that weight is gonna work for him and against him.

no one can just say "oh yea man, you're gonna be fine, i watched my third cousing back is motor home boat into the lake last year and he did fine"
we know nothing about dudeman's ramp conditions, or what all his truck is sporting aside from some nice tires and 2wd

i'm ranting because if this guy is putting all his eggs in one basket thinking "the trust worthy all knowings of dodge talk said i'm fine, what could go wrong?"
he could really be in for a bad day
proceed with caution broseph, use your head, and give us some facts

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.