DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear lord I'm in over my head... (I am a female that does the car stuff and my hubby isn't a wrench turner) I have a G2 2001 QC SB 1500. Tank straps rusted out and it hit the ground. My hubby saw something hanging but took my truck without mentioning it and now I'm changing the tank... I got a buddy that works at a scrap yard and he puts aside parts I might need. Well, since my tank is shot, he grabbed me a 35 gal from a reg cab long bed 96 v10 to try to replace the 26 gal one with the big hole. Got old one dropped and set side by side, and there is several differences. 01 tank has filler neck and vent seperate, and has a hose that comes up over top and plugs in. 96 the filler and vent are right next to each other, doesn't have the hose or any attachment for it on rear top of tank.
Here's the thing, if I can modify the 35 gal 96 tank and shove it in, it will save me a ton of money I don't have. (Literally, do not have.) What do to have to do to get this to work? Seems like the fuel pump will fit. but without the top hose (no idea what it's called or what it's for) I don't know if I can make it happen. I have always just followed what was there and put it back the same with new parts and it hasn't done me wrong yet. But with this, need help!

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
5 ish years ago there was thread/s on tank swaps (my old computer failed so I lost the links); IIRC big tanks would swap into 1500, but not the biggest diesel tanks (they were a few? gals bigger). ... All kinda foggy, don't remember squat about the hose/filler issue, or if V10 is different; hope this helps the search.

·
Registered
803 Posts
sounds similar to my tank swap I did last year onmy 98 dodge ram 1500. What I did was use the filler neck from the tank I removed (So I had to go back and get it). The hose is for the evap system. I believe that I had a new hose that didn't work on my tank I got so I clamped it shut. Since you don't have a hose that you used to have you might get a light but not positive. I no longer have that truck so I can't go look for sure sorry.

·
Registered
98 Posts
A good place to compare things is rockauto. You can pull up a filler neck for a diesel and a gas and then compare the pictures. I do this all the time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry it took so long to hop back on here. I forgot my log in info oops! Well, I wasn't able to use both tank straps, the front one wouldn't clear, so I have my trusty rachet strap doing to job, and so far it's doing just fine! Haven't put more than 20 gallons in it though cuz it wouldn't sit level. Longer reg cab tanks just aren't meant to fit in a shortbed quad cab truck lol BUT with done redneck ingenuity, I got'er done! Thanks guys!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.