DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I there, I see alot of people mentioning gauges, what are they for, how do they help, how hard are they to install, price, pictures, anything...

THX in advance

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I'm sure you'll be getting some advise very shortly. I'm in the process of buying and installing gauges myself. I've got all the pieces, now I just have to wait until Christmas until the wife lets me unwrap them.

Basically, if you plan on getting a programmer or chip, you'll need to watch certain engine parameters to keep from turning your CTD into scrap metal. I don't believe a dealer will void your warranty because of some analog gauges. They may sqwuak if they see your bullydog outlook monitor, or some other digitial monitor.

They are also very useful to people who tow, carry heavy loads, drive up steep grades at WOT, etc.,. They know if the engine or transmission are getting too hot.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
What are they for? To monitor things in your engine to make sure you are running the safe limits of your engine, as not to melt something or blow it up

They help because even our stock trucks run pretty hot, and pulling heavy will get your truck very hot. With power adders on it is almost a must to have gauges because if you run the truck too hot, you can get a new engine.
EGT: tells you how hot the gases are in your exhaust manifold right before they go in the turbo. If you get too hot, turbo could be gone, pistons, rods, rings could be wasted away, etc. Also helps for shutdown temperatures so you can let your truck cool down to a certain degree before you turn it off.
BOOST: Tells you if you have an exhaust leak, and can also be used to tune your truck. More boost=more power. It will show you what your mods do for boost. It also helps with mileage if you drive by the boost gauge. Less boost=more mileage. Also a fun gauge to watch
Trans temp: Pulling heavy or driving in the city will tell you how hot the tranny is getting. Always nice to have for an automatic truck so you dont burn the fluid.
Fuel pressure: not many people have this, but will help tune your lift pump and let you see if you are running out of fuel. Nice to have to see if your lift pump is worn out.

Hardness to install is in the eye of the beholder. i dont install things myself on my truck. I had the dealers viper tech do my gauges. took him 1.5 hours to drill/tap all three and mount them in the cab. The Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) gauge is by far the toughest because you have to be so careful

Price is about 350 for a full set of 3 gauges and a pillar mount

Here are my gauges, with pictures of where you drill for each one.

EGT PROBE:

BOOST PROBE:

TRANS TEMP:

·
Registered
576 Posts
I kinda prefer the digital monitor over the analog guages, but thats just me. I actually bought my Edge Juice mostly for the monitor, the added performance was just the icing on the cake.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
the digital monitor is nice, except the juice was 100 degrees off all the time, and at full throttle it was up to 350 degrees off.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
HemiMagnum said:
Fuel pressure: not many people have this, but will help tune your lift pump and let you see if you are running out of fuel. Nice to have to see if your lift pump is worn out.
If you're gonna BOMB your truck, a fuel pressure gauge is about as important as the Boost & EGT gauges.

(DiPricol in an SRT/10 A-Pillar mount)

Greg

·
Registered
442 Posts
HemiMagnum said:
BOOST: Tells you if you have an exhaust leak, and can also be used to tune your truck. More boost=more power. It will show you what your mods do for boost. It also helps with mileage if you drive by the boost gauge. Less boost=more mileage. Also a fun gauge to watch
I love watching mine :D

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.