DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. So, I have a new engine, plugs, wires, all sensors replaced, cap, rotor and pickup coil, new fuel pump and injectors. Had dodge do a cam sync and timing. This truck runs beautiful for about five miles or ten minutes and then starts it's crap. Popping, spitting and jerking around. After that, it runs great again for awhile. Then it will repeat the problem maybe an hour later. I bought a flash tuner from PIE in Deleware with a custom tune for my cam setup. while working on this truck for several months trying to get the bugs out I have flashed in the custom tune and returned it to stock a dozen times (probably). It is currently at stock tune. What I am wondering is, Could I have damaged my CPU with all this flashing. I have an appointment on the 20th to have a shop hook up a scanner and drive it. I don't know what else to do and am at my wits end!! Any tuners on this site that can help? Would appreciate any input.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
O.K. So, I have a new engine, plugs, wires, all sensors replaced, cap, rotor and pickup coil, new fuel pump and injectors. Had dodge do a cam sync and timing. This truck runs beautiful for about five miles or ten minutes and then starts it's crap. Popping, spitting and jerking around. After that, it runs great again for awhile. Then it will repeat the problem maybe an hour later. I bought a flash tuner from PIE in Deleware with a custom tune for my cam setup. while working on this truck for several months trying to get the bugs out I have flashed in the custom tune and returned it to stock a dozen times (probably). It is currently at stock tune. What I am wondering is, Could I have damaged my CPU with all this flashing. I have an appointment on the 20th to have a shop hook up a scanner and drive it. I don't know what else to do and am at my wits end!! Any tuners on this site that can help? Would appreciate any input.
I have never heard of tuning causing the PCM to fail. I have heard of PCMs failing however there never seemed to be rhyme or reason as to why. Ive heard of them failing with low miles and failing at high miles. So the cause is really unknown. I wiould however be conderned that IF my PCM where going bad that my custom tune could end up being lost inside of it. Effectively vin locking your SCT hand held. So i would remove that custom tune ASAP before the PCM potentially completely fries.

Did it have this issue BEFORE the custom tune? Or did it have ANY degradation in drive-ability or operation?

Does it have the same problem when you returned it to stock? Swapping out the PCM should be real quick and easy... also fairly cheap. Just find one with the same PCM part number. Be sure to download your SCT tune from the current PCM back into your hand held.

Also, what year make model are you working on?

Im sure you will get it figured out. Please keep us posted.

SPEED SAFE, NICK

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have never heard of tuning causing the PCM to fail. I have heard of PCMs failing however there never seemed to be rhyme or reason as to why. Ive heard of them failing with low miles and failing at high miles. So the cause is really unknown. I wiould however be conderned that IF my PCM where going bad that my custom tune could end up being lost inside of it. Effectively vin locking your SCT hand held. So i would remove that custom tune ASAP before the PCM potentially completely fries.

Did it have this issue BEFORE the custom tune? Or did it have ANY degradation in drive-ability or operation?s

Does it have the same problem when you returned it to stock? Swapping out the PCM should be real quick and easy... also fairly cheap. Just find one with the same PCM part number. Be sure to download your SCT tune from the current PCM back into your hand held.

Also, what year make model are you working on?

Im sure you will get it figured out. Please keep us posted.

SPEED SAFE, NICK
Hi there! Thanks for the reply! It is a 01 ram 1500 4x2, 5.2 with a 5-speed. Last year it blew a spark plug out and I noticed oil coming out of the hole. I found that the heads on this year had a weakness for cracking near the valve guides. I bought a re-manufactured long block from Promar in N.J. the end of last summer. I had them add a Comp cam and springs and double row timing chain. The lift is .480/.480. I put headers, Magnaflow catback, Holley TB, all sensors replaced this summer with oem except the downstream 02, which I replaced with oem a few days ago. I got a 1391 code but I had already changed the pickup coil, along with everything else. Since I added electric fans I changed the alternator to a Ultima which puts out 136 amps over the stock 117. I did it to avoid a power drop to the PCU. I took off the Holley and put back the stock one. I had the Dodge dealer do the timing and cam-sync, nobody else had the correct tool. I have been testing it nearly every day and it's the same. About five miles or ten minutes on surface streets and it starts to miss and spit. This lasts for two or three blocks and stops. It has never acted up on the freeway at all. I took the custom tune out again like you said night before last. This truck is a pure joy to drive other than this issue. It does run much better with the custom tune and idles better too. There are PCMs on Amazon and Ebay where you send it in to be refurbished for like, 150.00. I don't know what else it could be. Thanks for any advice.
Car Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle Wheel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts