DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get the Comp 260 for my Hemi but I cant do it if I will have smog trouble in California. Anybody dealt with this yet?

·
Had 392.. Now.. LS2 GTO!!
4,362 Posts
what all do they test? cause you won't throw codes with the 260

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
...i know they make sure your not throwin codes...some visual depending where you go and then the typical air quality stuff...

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Ramkid12 said:
what all do they test? cause you won't throw codes with the 260
I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but just because dline hasn't thrown a code doesn't mean everyone won't. Even some guys throw codes with the 6.1 cam, rare but it happens. Some trucks seem to be more prone to it then others, and I really like to hear from several 260 users to see if everyone is code free.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I know if it doesnt have the C.A.R.B. certification then it would be illegal but I dont think the testers would even be able to figure out that I had a cam. California's air quality test is pretty strict. Would it be able to pass that part of it?

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Do they do the sniffer test, or plug into the diagnostics port? Here in TX the plug in and check for codes, and check to see everything is functioning correctly, as in emissions equipment.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
TravReich said:
Well I know if it doesnt have the C.A.R.B. certification then it would be illegal but I dont think the testers would even be able to figure out that I had a cam. California's air quality test is pretty strict. Would it be able to pass that part of it?
They wouldn't know it wasn't CARB legal unless they took your truck apart. I'd be more worried about the codes than anything. Just make friends with a guy at an emissions center and you'll have no worries!

·
Had 392.. Now.. LS2 GTO!!
4,362 Posts
sawcut didn't you used to live in MI?! your truck would be so much faster if you came back here!!lol but it was 25 degrees today..So maybe i know why you are there

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
It would be so much faster just because I could do whatever I wanted to it, and not worry about smog tests!!! It's about 40 degrees here this morning and my truck is running like a raging BEAST!!!! Love cold temps.......

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
...don't you just love your mornin drives to work...to me it's the most satisfying 20 mile ride...you could feel the beast thinkin "lemme go lemme go"...hehe

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
...sorry off topic but sawcut, how do you like the transgo shift kit and how did it change your shifting characteristics?

thanks... fred

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
sawcut64 said:
It would be so much faster just because I could do whatever I wanted to it, and not worry about smog tests!!! It's about 40 degrees here this morning and my truck is running like a raging BEAST!!!! Love cold temps.......
..I'm torn between gettin LT's or mids...LT's won't pass our test so I'm leanin towards the mids....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I want to get the LT's too but I think I am gonna have to go with the Edelbrock TES for smog purposes

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It seems like none of our California members have cams. Not very suprising! California emissions testing SUCKS!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Try Crane cams website. I think they might have CARB approved camshafts for your year, but I'm not really sure. Check out their site or call them. I'm also looking for CARB approved cams but for my 2001 5.9/360 Ram. I think they are the only ones that are emissions legal. The cam I'm looking at is the Power Max 2030 Part# 704121, but I believe this cam only applies to 1993-2001 5.9 Ram's. Good luck.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
TravReich said:
It seems like none of our California members have cams. Not very suprising! California emissions testing SUCKS!
hehe...I'm runnin a 6.1 cam up here in NorCal....my trucks a beast!!!

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
...if you look at one of the cam install how to's from 03Ramit01, that install was done up here in newark, cali

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
chefred112 said:
..I'm torn between gettin LT's or mids...LT's won't pass our test so I'm leanin towards the mids....
Do they actually crawl up, under, and in checking everything? Or do they just plug into the diagnostics port, and check for codes and emissions equipment functions. If that's all they do then you could run LT headers as long as there are no codes.
chefred112 said:
...sorry off topic but sawcut, how do you like the transgo shift kit and how did it change your shifting characteristics?

thanks... fred
The Transgo shift kits rocks, part throttle shifts seem tighter and WOT shifts are instant. The Superchips made them firm but the shift kit made them quick. I have always had them set to shift at 5950 and before the shift kit the shift would end at 6200ish, now BANG ends right at 5950. It's not a head snapping mod like headers or a cam, but it helps you get the most from your trans. If you decide to get it, just get the one that modifies your valvebody, that's all you'll need.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
....cool...I'm gonna call them now and get it...they have 2 shift kits...looks like the same kit with a "P" added to the end of the stock#...$58 for the Trans-0045 and $105 for the Trans-0045P...

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
chefred112 said:
....cool...I'm gonna call them now and get it...they have 2 shift kits...looks like the same kit with a "P" added to the end of the stock#...$58 for the Trans-0045 and $105 for the Trans-0045P...
The one for $105 is the one I got and half of it you can't even install unless you drop your trans. If the $58 one does the valvebody then don't worry about the other one, I haven't even installed the other half of the kit and probably wont.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.