DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my 06 Mega Cab and am planning my upgrades. I'm trying to decide between a Leer Camper top or a fiberglasss bed cover. I like the looks of both and do use my bed every now and then for cargo but nothing over my rails. I was woundering what people felt about the "look" of both.

BigJon

·
Registered
430 Posts
Do you tow anything? The camper shell will help out if you tow something tall. Otherwise, the money would be my main consideration.

·
Shark Hunter
6,398 Posts
For me it depends on what you use the truck for.
I have a camper shell on for the dogs to ride around safely with and to be able to leave stuff locked in the back.
It is also just about exactly the size of a queen sized bed, apart from length in the back of my long box, above the wheel arches and is very comfortable to sleep in. Saves all that tent up, tent down, is everything still going to be in the tent when we get back stuff.
Not to bothered about looks but more how it works for me.

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
As said above, it depends on what you want it for. I like my having my tonneau cover a lot. Its looks great and is functional as a big ass trunk for me. I can still haul most anything I need with it too. I have had a shell in the past and liked it too. It was more fun when I could haul people around in the back, this was more in my teenage years though. I got tired of it after a while though, I liked not having it.My Pops has always had shells, so figure out whats gonna be the most beneficial to you.

KB

·
Registered
892 Posts
The only thing about the lid is dealing with getting the things that slide toward the cab. Although the lid lifts, it might still be a pain to get something that has slid all the way up to the cab. I had a soft tonneau but upgraded to a camper because I got tired of fishing things out from under the tonneau.

David

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
How does a Shell prevent stuff from sliding up front like it does in a tonneau? When I have stuff slide forward, I can still reach it from the side of the cab. I just lean in and grab it or push it forward. I guess it's easier with the truck being lowered and all. If not, I throw my 5 year old in there and say get it son. :D

KB

·
Registered
892 Posts
Doesn't keep it from sliding - just might make it tricky to reach.

I was just tossing out things to think about. My experience is with a soft tonneau, but the lids I looked at would have caused me to use the "toss the kid in to fetch it" as much as the tonneau did.

Just food for thought.
David

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
I love my kids....their good for all kinds of stuff. :D

KB

·
Registered
840 Posts
I have the shell on mine but I like the looks of the cover better. If I didn't have to haul all my hunting and fishing stuff or haul the dog around occasionally I'd have the cover instead.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Yeah I would say go for the camper if you need the extra room, but if not a bed-cover is gonna look alot better IMO.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I'd say go with the tonneau unless you really need the shell for the functionality cuz a hard tonneau really looks sweet and a shell..............um, not so much.

·
Registered
533 Posts
i had this debate several months back and had a hard time deciding between which one to go with. i finally did go with a tonneau and i am very glad i did. i like the campers, but i just think you lose the dodge truck look when you do so. having the larger lockable space would have been nice and was a consideration. although, i can fit alot of stuff with my tonneau. if i ever need to use my truck for something that is really tall. i'm 2 wing nuts and 2 clips away from taking it off. as far as stuff sliding to the front, i have always had a couple shower curtain rods ( the adjustable kind) there like 10 bucks a piece, and i use them, one on the top, and one one the bottom, to stop the sliding around syndrome from grocery bags to luggage and what not. but it's all about what your needs are, like others have stated.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
wolfman, thats a good idea, the shower rods (much cheaper) than some of the specific products. Hey how do you add a picture to the post?

·
Registered
533 Posts
dodgeit05 said:
wolfman, thats a good idea, the shower rods (much cheaper) than some of the specific products. Hey how do you add a picture to the post?
when you are replying to a post, scroll down alittle and click on manage attachments. click browse, find the picture within your files, and then click upload on the popped up window. after one try you'll be a pro. hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
i had a camper top on my gmc and liked it a lot because i could put stuff back there without the rain and bad weather getting all over everything and i have dogs that can ride back there also out of the weather

i have now got a 06 mega cab and really torn with the camper top or tonneu cover

the cover would be no good for my dogs and a lot less space to load stuff in the back

but once you out a camper top on a truck it does not look like a truck anymore kinda looks like a suv and i am wanting to upgrade to a fifth wheel in the next yer or so so that a - for the camper top as well

so i really dont know other than i am thinking of one of these for my truck (sportsimportsltd . com) if they ever make one to fit

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.