DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of cam is in my 1988 318? I read it's either a hydrolic roller or a hydrolic flat tappet, looking to get an aftermarket cam just wanna make sure I get the right type

Sent from my Coolpad 3622A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also any cams you guys would recommend? Truck an 88 so it's throttle body injection

·
Registered
150 Posts
Get your mechanic to get and install the right camshaft.
Reason I suggest that is. If you have no idea what type of cam you have in your LA engine you should not be pulling your engine apart.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get your mechanic to get and install the right camshaft.
Reason I suggest that is. If you have no idea what type of cam you have in your LA engine you should not be pulling your engine apart.
Reason I'm asking is cause I was told there's two possible types in my engine

·
Registered
150 Posts
Reason I'm asking is cause I was told there's two possible types in my engine

Well ok. If it is a stock engine that nobody has ever built for large performance then it will have the stock flat tappet cam.
Now, if somebody in the past decided to build a performance engine out of your lowly 318 then it is possible they stuck a roller cam in it. But with that you would see an aluminum intake manifold and a performance 4BBl carb and headers. Possibly head work or even aluminum heads and an aftermarket performance ignition.

If it's a stock 2BBL or even a stock 4BBL then I highly doubt you'd see a performance aftermarket roller cam inside.
If it was a 318 Magnum engine then it would be a roller. But an 88 318 is an LA engine.

Who told you it could be either?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well ok. If it is a stock engine that nobody has ever built for large performance then it will have the stock flat tappet cam.
Now, if somebody in the past decided to build a performance engine out of your lowly 318 then it is possible they stuck a roller cam in it. But with that you would see an aluminum intake manifold and a performance 4BBl carb and headers. Possibly head work or even aluminum heads and an aftermarket performance ignition.

If it's a stock 2BBL or even a stock 4BBL then I highly doubt you'd see a performance aftermarket roller cam inside.
If it was a 318 Magnum engine then it would be a roller. But an 88 318 is an LA engine.

I said heard should have said read, found it on Google can't remember which forum

·
Registered
150 Posts
I said heard should have said read, found it on Google can't remember which forum

Your still stuck with looking for a cam.
Are you putting headers on? Are you getting a tuner? Are you upgrading the stock throttle body?

You need a flat tappet cam and lifters to match. Just regular hydraulic lifters. New cam must have new lifters.

·
Registered
150 Posts

Lol. Carb on an 88. :thatfunny

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your still stuck with looking for a cam.
Are you putting headers on? Are you getting a tuner? Are you upgrading the stock throttle body?

You need a flat tappet cam and lifters to match. Just regular hydraulic lifters. New cam must have new lifters.
I'll be doing headers and full exhaust, im planning on upgrading throttle body just not sure with what,was thinking efi but they're like $800 and I'd still need to get an intake manifold and distributer

·
Registered
150 Posts
Does this 318 run good? What I'm getting at is although the 2`8 is a good engine it's just not worth tossing lots of money into it. Meaning, spend the winter looking for a 360 to swap in and toss money into it before you do the swap. That way you can drive your truck until your ready for the swap.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does this 318 run good? What I'm getting at is although the 2`8 is a good engine it's just not worth tossing lots of money into it. Meaning, spend the winter looking for a 360 to swap in and toss money into it before you do the swap. That way you can drive your truck until your ready for the swap.
Runs great today I noticed fuel leaking while I was filling up, guessing the fuel neck? So guess I have to wait till the tank is low again and drop it

·
Registered
150 Posts
Runs great today I noticed fuel leaking while I was filling up, guessing the fuel neck? So guess I have to wait till the tank is low again and drop it

Or just pull the box off and swap hoses. Clean up at same time and check wiring and whatnot.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a few suggestions. First on the fuel leak, I'd remove the box and do everything that could possibly be wrong under there at once, fuel pump, sender etc. Then start saving money for performance. You can do a cam, but might want to do a carb if you don't get the performance you desire out of it on the TBI. Basically, a TBI is about the same as a 4bbl electronically controlled carb so is great as is. I'd do a street strip cam and a good set of headers and dual exhaust. You'll probably see about a 30hp gain and some TQ. Maybe a little more. I have access to a 1974 Dodge Truck 360 4bbl motor so will replace my wheezy 318 in my No Power Wagon with that. I'll do a cam, headers, intake, and carb on it, possibly a set of Edlebrock heads if I sell one of my motorcycles for the money for the heads.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a few suggestions. First on the fuel leak, I'd remove the box and do everything that could possibly be wrong under there at once, fuel pump, sender etc. Then start saving money for performance. You can do a cam, but might want to do a carb if you don't get the performance you desire out of it on the TBI. Basically, a TBI is about the same as a 4bbl electronically controlled carb so is great as is. I'd do a street strip cam and a good set of headers and dual exhaust. You'll probably see about a 30hp gain and some TQ. Maybe a little more. I have access to a 1974 Dodge Truck 360 4bbl motor so will replace my wheezy 318 in my No Power Wagon with that. I'll do a cam, headers, intake, and carb on it, possibly a set of Edlebrock heads if I sell one of my motorcycles for the money for the heads.
Originally I thought it was the filler neck, but I looked at the tank and noticed the filler neck is on the side of the tank, the leak was up near the cab, if the filler neck was on the top I would still check since my truck has helper springs in the rear the rear sits 2-3" higher than front , but now I'm worried that it's a hole or crack in the tank

·
Registered
150 Posts
Originally I thought it was the filler neck, but I looked at the tank and noticed the filler neck is on the side of the tank, the leak was up near the cab, if the filler neck was on the top I would still check since my truck has helper springs in the rear the rear sits 2-3" higher than front , but now I'm worried that it's a hole or crack in the tank

JB Weld. Really. It works. I've done it. Permanent repair.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
JB weld(red and black tubes) is not really for something that is exposed to gas. It says right on the label. I have used it to seal up a hole in a lawn mower float bowl with it, It will work for some time but eventually the gas breaks down the epoxy and it starts to leak. See if they make another epoxy that is not effected by gas.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.