DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, got a couple of questions for you. First off, I have a cam,comp cams retrofit kit, and some rhoads lifters for my 96 indy that I bought off of a good buddy of mine. He never installed them and offered them up to me for a good price! Anyways cam specs are as follows, 264 intake,274 exhaust,112 lobe separation, and.512/.512 valve lift. Will my stock valve springs take this much lift or no? And, will my pistons kiss my valves? I do have some engine experience and want to do this myself, Thx.

·
R.I.P Big Blue
5,326 Posts
I don't have much experience with cams and internals, just what I've learned here. But I would say change the springs anyways, and I don't think your cam will hit valves, but might be close. I've heard 111-112 degrees is about the safest limit. Get a second opinion, as I don't trust myself.

Consider this a bump. :)

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
No you will need new springs rated to at least .550 The stock springs will end up breaking with that high of a lift. That is a radical cam especially with the lobe separation. This cam would not be good for a stock motor. You would need to do some flow work and a higher flow intake to take advantage of this cam fully.

As for kissing your valves there is no problem there. But, always better to be safe then sorry.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yep, that is some big duration. Way to much cam for a stock motor. You will end up having a rough idle, weak bottom end, and it will probably stall at the lights. Now there is no such thing as a too big of cam, just too small of motor. However you are in a position that most people don't find themselves in. A lot of good engine builders say you should start with the cam and build your motor around it. You have that opportunity. Good luck!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replys guys, I guess some headwork is in order, intake, throttlebody,etc. One more quick question, I guess a higher stall converter would be on order too? This truck only gets driven 3-4000 miles a year so a radical build would be possible. It`s a street driven truck only. I also read somewhere, I think a Hot Rod mag., that said the rhoads lifters offer better vaccum @ idle? Anyone ever hear of this?

·
Registered
380 Posts
If it is mainly a street rod (truck) you want, I would not go any higher than a 2500 stall converter.

As for the lifter question, don't know. I would think that the cam has more affect on vacuum than the lifters would.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Are the duration numbers you list the advertised duration? If so, and since its a Comp stick, I believe you have a Comp 20-604-9 which is actually a relatively tame cam that many people are successfully using. [The KRC 210 cam family is based on it.]

If this is the case, your duration at .050" is 210/220.

As others have mentioned, you will want to change your valve springs, the MOPAR .600" max lift springs are a good choice price and performance wise.

The Rhoads lifters that you have are an excellent product for use with an aftermarket cam. As I'm sure you already know, the Rhoads lifters reduce lift and duration at low RPM's, pumping up to full lift and duration by 3000 RPM's. This will give your cam even better street manners by increasing low end torque and vacuum. Unfortunately I don't have any hard numbers for you as far as vacuum and torque increases from the lifters, however other users on this and other Dodge boards have rated them favorably.

So, as long as the duration numbers you listed are advertised duration, you have a Comp 604, and a very streetable cam that you can install and enjoy.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UNHPistol that is the cam(20-604-9) that I have, and thats what I wanted to hear:tup: Thanks to all who replied for your time

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Sweet then in that case it is a great cam. You will still benefit from doing some port work. I would call up Comp Cams and ask what Stall Converter you should use with that cam. Keep us updated on the progress and I want to hear a sound clip when it is done ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I`ll keep you updated on the progress, but, it might be awhile as I don`t have a donor block yet(don`t wanna possibly blow my numbers-matching block). Plus, I gotta build a garage this summer;)lol

·
Ram Racer
1,584 Posts
:thatfunny Damn Indys cause so much work. Had to build a garage for mine as well. That cam probably be good with a 2800 stall I would think.
550lift springs best, going to a 600lift spring will cost you hp/trq trying to open and close the stronger springs. Be sure to get matching retainers & should get treated pushrods & guides as well as rollerrockers if you want to take the rpms up even more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.