DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Banned
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got bored today and "installed" my new cams into my new heads...

There's a piece of paper in with the cams and it says

SPECIAL CARE WAS TAKEN DURING THE MANUFACTURE OF THIS CAMSHAFT. LOBE SIZE AND CAM TIMING WAS OPTIMIZED TO PROVIDE BEST LOBE HARDNESS AND DURABILITY. CAMSHAFT DEGREEING IS REQUIRED FOR PROPER INSTALLATION.
What is Camshaft Degreeing (how is it done/what does it do)?

· Had 392.. Now.. LS2 GTO!!
4,349 Posts
degree wheel and finding TDC of #1 pistom this insures that the cams go in correctly irf the cam are sopposed to go in at a 113 and go in on a 115 or so then on the hemis you have to get a degree socket. pm shardon,or 392 stu he will be able to help more. i just started doing this on the trucks just to be SURE they go in properly my cam was sopposed to go in on a 109 and when i used the degree wheel it was perfect

· All Around Great Guy
12,739 Posts
Unless you are using a modified cam sprocket, the camshaft is going in at it's advertised intake centerline. There is absolutely no way to change it unless you install it one tooth off either way. Find top dead center on #1 with a dial indicator, and your marks will be lined up, just make sure that it is on the powerstroke, not intake stroke. Your painted marks should line up in the positions everyone posts on here. Then remove camshaft, be careful not to disturb or move crankshaft, and reinstall cam and chain. Done deal

· Banned
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's a pin on the end of the cam, and a hole on the sprocket, there's really no other way it can be put on unless you jump a tooth (I know, as stated above).
So basically, its Crane covering their bases?

· Banned
11,103 Posts
adamsredlines said:
There's a pin on the end of the cam, and a hole on the sprocket, there's really no other way it can be put on unless you jump a tooth (I know, as stated above).
You're install is going to be fine. Brian is installing your cams. :)

Sil

· Registered
1,889 Posts
yes... just think how many cams they turn out for the variety of cars and some have the ability to be dgreed from the factory. kinda like napkins in your happy meal, EVERYBODY gets em.

· Banned
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wasinger12 said:
So if I read post #1 correct....your heads and new cams arent on the truck your just playing with your new parts....right???!!! Your trucks still together????????

Yes I'm just playing with the new parts haha.
Its a "cold" rainy day here in Waco!

· All Around Great Guy
12,739 Posts
It is basically carried over from the small block chevys and fords from yesteryear...

· Banned
3,606 Posts
adamsredlines said:
You texas guys crack me up. Everybody in goosedown coats when its below 40. :D

Been about 38 here and raining since I got up this morning. blah!
well you 04 guys crack me up....keep modding and modding knowing your pcm hates you

sorry but thats what you get when you talk down bout my people

· HC-Racing,LLC
1,836 Posts
Adam,
Typically if you use the "wedge" method, {not allowing the chains to move any off the crank sproket during the removal/install} you can make marks on the cam chains, and cam sprockets prior to removal, them just line them up when your installing the new cams, and everything should be good to go.
{we do this on Ford modulars when the engine is in the car during cam swaps as its much simpler than the degree wheel method} and with the cams having a "pin" hole{like you mentioned}, if your lines line up, there is no way for anything to be off as long as the crank hasnt moved.
Actually easier on the dodge as the Fords dont have the pins, they have keyways without keys, and rely on the cam bolt tension to keep the cam from spinning free on some applications. We put keys in all of them. Something scary about a keyway w/o a key.
But leave that to the professionals..{smile}

Cammed, headed, and lowered {more} at the same time..

Cant hide money can you...

$

· All Around Great Guy
12,739 Posts
highdollar said:
Adam,
Typically if you use the "wedge" method, {not allowing the chains to move any off the crank sproket during the removal/install} you can make marks on the cam chains, and cam sprockets prior to removal, them just line them up when your installing the new cams, and everything should be good to go.
{we do this on Ford modulars when the engine is in the car during cam swaps as its much simpler than the degree wheel method} and with the cams having a "pin" hole{like you mentioned}, if your lines line up, there is no way for anything to be off as long as the crank hasnt moved.
Actually easier on the dodge as the Fords dont have the pins, they have keyways without keys, and rely on the cam bolt tension to keep the cam from spinning free on some applications. We put keys in all of them. Something scary about a keyway w/o a key.
But leave that to the professionals..{smile}

Cammed, headed, and lowered {more} at the same time..

Cant hide money can you...

$
This is what i did when i swapped my cam. I did not even bother with tdc or the links, just marked the chain to the gear and marked that in relation to the block for sure. Crank did not move, swapped cams, installed sprocket, lined up the marks and dropped the chain on then pulled the tensioner pin... Easy as pie.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.