DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was just looking at cam specs and had a question for anybody that wants to take a crack at it. How does the Comp 260 make so much more torque than the 6.1 cam? Take a look at these specs:

6.1 AC
0.541"/0.528" lift
208/211 duration
at 0.050" lift 114 degree LSA

XFI 260 Hemi
208/212-522/525 LSA 113

It has 1 more degree duration on the exhaust. Less lift on both sides and 1 less degree in LSA. Seems to me if it made more power at all it would be a fractional difference and certainley not 30 ft. lbs. So what gives? Anybody care to take a crack at it?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
mmmmmmmm....... no comment from the 6.1 cam bashers ;)

·
Josh
4,202 Posts
haha wait till dline or ramkid gets on here

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ramkid is on here just seen that he was online and sent him pm. ;)

·
Had 392.. Now.. LS2 GTO!!
4,362 Posts
oh you mean guys like me?!?!lol
Can you even get the 6.1 ac grind? but i can tell you that the 260 sounds better more lope and pulls hard as hell.
I took dlines truck to the track when i installed the converter and got a 14.4 or 5 i belive. no he is pulling with the 260 14.2-14.1's. with 1.80 60fts. I wanna stay faster than the rest so get the 6.1 cam..
The Lobe speration angle has alot to do with it i am sure that 1 degree is a big diffrence in performance.Check out the new crane cames i think they have like 256/260 duration or something its insane and are sopposed to work with the stock ecu

·
4,362 Posts
I changed my mind get the 6.1 cam. I hate my cam because i can't touch the gas without spinning the tires..Also when it idles it shakes the whole truck and gives me a headache from all the power.
NOw i got my idle down to about 833 so i will have to get a idle clip of it
I have a feeling the next post is going to be big from rock1

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ramkid12 said:
oh you mean guys like me?!?!lol
Can you even get the 6.1 ac grind? but i can tell you that the 260 sounds better more lope and pulls hard as hell.
I took dlines truck to the track when i installed the converter and got a 14.4 or 5 i belive. no he is pulling with the 260 14.2-14.1's. with 1.80 60fts. I wanna stay faster than the rest so get the 6.1 cam..
The Lobe speration angle has alot to do with it i am sure that 1 degree is a big diffrence in performance.Check out the new crane cames i think they have like 256/260 duration or something its insane and are sopposed to work with the stock ecu
The AC is what Air Ram is selling I'm pretty sure. You couldn't really compare times unless everything is the same exept the cam. I brung LSA up in another thread and somebody made the comment that it made little or no difference. I'm not that knowlagable about LSA. My point is that I can get the 6.1 for $130 shipped and the 260 would be more like $550 or better after the springs and all. But I guess you wouldn't need springs for it if you don't need them for the 6.1 so we will say $400. So that's $270 dollars toward my next mod. That's money towards say a Torque Convertor.

·
4,362 Posts
dline said:
before cam

after cam

Wow i didn't even know that the cam gave you 3 more mph in the 1/4 thats insane.
But i can understand where you are coming from a 6.1 is great band for the buck. So i say do what you can if you are on a limited budget and want more hp get the 6.1 cam. But if you want that little more hp is it worth the extra 200 for you? it was for us. I didn't want to tear my truck apart and want more after my cam install so i ut the 210 in

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just found interesting how incredibly close those cams are to one another and just can't see an extra 30 ft. lbs in there. But if it does that much of a gain I would like to know how. Trying to learn and make an informed decision and not spend anymore money than I have to get the big QC to move. Those are some pretty impressive #'s Dline.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe that's going to be next after I get the gears and the cam installed. Did yours show any gains at the track? I don't hemi450 ever got his to produce the times he was expecting . Not sure though.

·
4,362 Posts
TC for sure!!!!i can't wait till i get $$$
Also dlines times changed huge with the TC they would not be as good without it. ALso if you have a 2wd you will need some DR for sure

·
Banned
4,873 Posts
rock1 said:
I believe that's going to be next after I get the gears and the cam installed. Did yours show any gains at the track? I don't hemi450 ever got his to produce the times he was expecting . Not sure though.
.2-.3 gain

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's what I was thinking. I don't think they still make the AB. Mine will probably be in this weekend.

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
MAT, has the 6.1L cam and just ran 13.3 NA... Thats pritty quick for a truck... Im not exactly sure how the his additional mods differ from the guys with the 260 cams... but have any of those guys gone 13.5 or quicker yet? I think the differences are small and from the times Mat has run... I really think the 6.1L would be a better choice at this time... He has NO tuning issues and is running it with the Flashpaq...

In my opinion all you guys are running fast! But for 130.00 you cant beat the bang for the buck with a 6.1L cam.

Either way, I hope to have Comp cams added to the site by the end of the week. So we will have choices for everyone...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
4,362 Posts
yup thats very true but i think dline and I maybe hemiram11 i think that have these cams. Either way you can't go wrong with 130.. dline just put a 4x4 truck in the 13's, first one i have heard of. I am going to be next and be beating him!! i can only dream

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.