DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 1996 dodge ram 1500 qc with 104000miles and two days ago I got on it getting on the highway and the transmisson wouldn't shift.....so i let off the gas a lttle bit and it shifted just fine..today at work I asked a co-worker who is knows more than I about cars/trucks and he said just check tranny fluid so i did and this is my question what COLOR should the fluid be? :help: any info would be helpful

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
The tranny fluid should be a red/pinkish. Smell it also to see if it's burnt. My truck also had this problem I had to put it into N a couple times, but it's been about 3 months since it's done it and appears to be fine.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I've never bothered to do it myself, I would just take it into a good tranny shop. Also on a lot of trucks there is bands to look at/adjust that a normal person would have no idea about, some people say there is no bands etc but your only spending about $150 to take it in.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It's easy, but a little messy for a first timer. Alls you have to do is drop the tranny pan, swap the filter, bolt the pan up, then fill it back up through the dipstick. Be sure to really clean the pan and the magnet while you have it off. It's on the same level as changing the oil, just a little more complex.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
It's easy, but a little messy for a first timer. Alls you have to do is drop the tranny pan, swap the filter, bolt the pan up, then fill it back up through the dipstick. Be sure to really clean the pan and the magnet while you have it off. It's on the same level as changing the oil, just a little more complex.
additionally, get a wire brush (on a drill preferably) to clean the pan with. Get some blue or red RTV, and have some torx bits readily available as the filter has 3 torx bolts holding it up.
While you have it off you may want to install a drain plug & temp sensor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.