DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to paint my calipers this weekend. Any suggestions on what color you think would look the best. The color of my truck is patriot blue. I was also looking at the Dupli-color kit because it sounded like the easiest to apply. Thanks for the help guys.

·
15,904 Posts
Red is the best color for calipers IMO. Duplicolor makes a great kit. That is the one I used. Prep is the key to making them look good. The better you prep the better they will look. Thye make a blue color or even the yellow might look OK with the Blue. But IMO calipers should always be Red. Good luck, and post some pics when you are done. Here is what mine look like.

Attachments

·
Registered
595 Posts
Red looks good on any thing. Go with that.

Jeff, did you take your calipers completely off and reinstall them after you painted them? Or were you able to leave them connected to the brake line and paint them?

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
JeffB2002 said:
Red is the best color for calipers IMO. Duplicolor makes a great kit. That is the one I used. Prep is the key to making them look good. The better you prep the better they will look. Thye make a blue color or even the yellow might look OK with the Blue. But IMO calipers should always be Red. Good luck, and post some pics when you are done. Here is what mine look like.
What's this kit you speak of? Does it come with some sort of special paint, maybe something that would withstand heat?

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Cool thanks, how long does it take to dry before you can reassemble the brakes?

·
Hemi2nV
7,813 Posts
When I get around to installing my powerslots and ceramic pads this winter I plan on painting my calipers gloss black...Im going with the duplicolor kit

·
Registered
181 Posts
I never took mine off...if you're careful a great job can be done leaving them on. I was off and driving in about 30 mins after painting them.

·
15,904 Posts
DodgeThis_AZ said:
Red looks good on any thing. Go with that.

Jeff, did you take your calipers completely off and reinstall them after you painted them? Or were you able to leave them connected to the brake line and paint them?
I took off the rotors and pads to do mine. You do not have to do that to paint them, I just felt like that was easier. I hate taping things off. I get to antsy and never do a good job of it.

I also suggest using the kit or at least the engine spray paint. It is designed to be able to take larger amounts of heat. The regular automotive paint would crack and peel.

Can't wait to see all of those RED painted calipers!!

·
Registered
621 Posts
I vote Red.. Goes with everything.. :)

Attachments

·
United States Navy
230 Posts
The Blue kit from Duplicolor is very nice, contrasts nicely with the Atlantic blue but would look equally as good with the Darker Patriot blue I would imagine. Also, if you dont have them already, get the rear wheel well liner from Dodge. Really, cleans up the rear tire area.

Attachments

·
Registered
525 Posts
Is one kit enough to do all 4 calipers? I was planning to do it this weekend.

·
Registered
415 Posts
yea i did 2 coats on all my calipers and had enough paint left to do like another 5 coats! and i really didnt wanna tape anything off either so i just didnt. if your real steady with your brush you'll be alright. just make sure its real well lighted cuz it gets dark under there.

·
6.1 FTW
2,307 Posts
Used about 4 coats on each caliper. Still had 80% of the paint left! I found that it looked real spotty until at least 3 coats were on, but looks great when finished. Has stood up pretty well to after being on about 10 months now.

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
I just used Rustoleum Sunrise Red oil based paint from Home Depot. Got a bunch left in the can. Did my truck and my Brothers Tahoe. Only took 2 coats each and its thick and lustrous. I think mine has been on there close to 2 years and is still glossy and bright.

Just cleaned with brake cleaner, scrubbed everything down, covered what I didnt want painted with aluminum foil and paper. Then brushed it on with small foam paint brushes. Cheap, easy and awesome. havent done any maintenance ont hema side from wipe them down with some windex on a cloth when I wash the truck. I also give them a really good cleaning with windex and a cloth when I rotate my tires.

KB

Attachments

·
Registered
559 Posts
Red looks sweet.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.