DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am new to the site and already have a question. I have a 99 Dakota 4wd that needed front brake pads. Keep in mind I have had the pads/rotors changed about 3 years ago. When changing the front driver side I found that the original bolts holding the caliper on were not caliper bolts. Someone cranked larger bolts in and are not going to work now. Main reason is they are incorrect and have stripped. No way to get new set of caliper bolts in.

Any advice on how to handle this? What is the part called that the caliper bold screws in to?? Sorry I am a novice machanic. I want to make sure I am asking for the right parts.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Is the part that is stripped out part of the steering knuckle or is it a bracket that bolts to it? If it bolts to the knuckle then check out a loaded caliper. I've seen it come as part of the loaded calipers for for other Dodges, but they were a pain in the @ss to change.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is part of the knuckle. Did a little research and found a helicoil option that worked well. It was tricky as the problem originated with a local garage cranking in some oversized bolts. I was able to use a helicoil plus and oversized caliper bolt which did the job.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.