DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· suede everywhere
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just moved to California does anyone know the laws here for exhaust i have heard so many diffrent things. Thanks for the help

· I'd rather be riding...
607 Posts
What are you looking for in particular? I see that you have JBA headers in your sig. those should be smog legal and have a sticker that is placed on the radiator core support showing the CARB #. The CARB stickers are how the smog techs verify aftermarket parts are legal on pollution controlled vehicles. If the CARB sticker is not in place, call JBA and see about getting a new one. You usually need to have proof of purchase to get a new sticker sent out.

Also make sure you have the CARB sticker in place for the K&N setup. The open element air cleaner setups many people have been going to (like chizzle loves to post about) will not pass smog inspections here in CA.

Make sure you have a functioning cat in place or the truck most likely won't pass the sniffer test. Make sure the O2 sensors are functional and in good working order as well. Depending on where you live, there are noise regulations so you want to have a muffler in place so as not to attract the attention of the local po-po.

Thats basically it. Cat back systems are not an issue. Its not legal to tamper with the cat unless it is not functional but shouldn't be a problem if you get a direct replacement such as the Magnaflow ones.

· Registered MOPAR User
9,389 Posts
The CARB stickers are a must! I've gotten the K&N set up on my Durango, but didn't have the CARB Sticker, The smog shop didn't even question it. The headers they did, but the CARB plate is welded to the header, I pointed it to them, they said OK. I also have the Hypertech program, I told the tech about it, since they hook up an OBD device to check codes, he said he didn't even notice the program. With all that installed on the Durango, I passed with flying colors. I had thought, as did they, that their sniffer wasn't working, they cal'd and gave me my cert! 136K and going strong

· suede everywhere
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welp guys to late and found the biggist a-hole cop in the world last night in Westminster. I could tell the guy already had a chip on his shoulder when it came to my window. I gave him everything he needed, then i asked him why i got pulled over and he said 2 things do you want to guess? I grinning my teeth said no, go ahead and tell me. Number 1 Window Tint. In california you are not allowed to darken the two window adajcent to the driver. Meaning the front two. Second your not allowed to modify exhaust in California!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I immediately started to protest my case. And i will jump to the end of the story. He said get it fixed or Him and I will have problems next time he see's me!
Guys help me on this, cuz this is all i can think about. I spent alot of dough on all these parts and dont really EVER plan to take these off. All my exhaust is headers, stock cat. Super 40's

607 Posts
He is feeding you somewhat of a line of crap. Cat-back exhaust IS legal in CA. What he probably pulled you over for is the Super 40s are probably very loud. He probably gave you a fix-it ticket. If he really wants to be an ass, he can do a spot inspection and impound the truck if he finds illegal aftermarket parts. This is where the CARB stickers will also save your ass. If you can prove that your mods are legal, he has nothing.

Your screwed on the window tint. Pull it off for now and get a lighter tint later on. Driver, passenger and the windshield can not be tinted in CA more than something like 7% I think. A good tint shop can tell you more and what you will likely be able to get away with.

If you got a fix-it ticket, find a police station and see what they say. Sometimes you will get lucky and they will write it off without you making any changes. Was this cop local PD or CHP? I would start shopping for a quieter muffler and make sure you have the CARB stickers in place and not worry about the rest of the exhaust.

· i yell at microphones.
209 Posts
chp will be up your ass, get used to it...guys ive talked to out there have nothing good to say about the way things are out there.
you can have cat back...but if you test them they may break out the decible meter, as well as have you prove it will pass emissions testing. fun!
you also had better have carb #s for all yoru modifications or be able to prove to the court it is 50..not 48 or 49...but 50 state legal.
if he goes to the point of harrasment, present all your carb etc. paperwork and info as soon as he says he pulled you for vehicle related shit. if he stays up your ass, get the badge #, file a complaint.
you also just moved to the state...you may have a grace period to fix these things before having to pay.
now all that said. most of the guys ive talked to out there are import/drift geeks and well...they pay little attention to this crap...its an everyday thing for alot of guys out there so yep..get used to it.

· Registered
5,505 Posts
jbullockdaboss, Westminster Police are ruthless when it comes to this stuff.

· Registered MOPAR User
9,389 Posts
I hope you don't live in westminster or garbage grove. If so, you should get the flow 50's on, it cuts the noise so they wont hassle, but it sounds like this one has it in for you, If it happens again file a complaint with the shift super.

· suede everywhere
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I live in right in the heart of Huntington. So i dont live in there but damn now my stomach drops everytime i see a cop. I need a CARB sticker for my K&N. I have all the others and on my headers the CARB sticker is a welded plate. I will pass all the CARB inspections. But i will not pass the noise test. Flomaster should have 1 on the muffler right?

607 Posts
Mufflers don't require a CARB sticker, just need to be somewhat quiet.

· Registered MOPAR User
9,389 Posts
x2, muffler does not need a CARB exemption tag.

· i yell at microphones.
209 Posts
and the noise level i think is 96 decibal

· (_)& (_)& (_)&
507 Posts
as far as proving things......im switching duty stations to lemoore CA next month. can i "blame" everything on the previous owner here in VA? my mods are below and have 2 magnaflow hi flow cats about to go on, and an ebay intake (this thing looks sweet) going on tomorrow.

· Registered
405 Posts
williboone said:
as far as proving things......im switching duty stations to lemoore CA next month. can i "blame" everything on the previous owner here in VA? my mods are below and have 2 magnaflow hi flow cats about to go on, and an ebay intake (this thing looks sweet) going on tomorrow.
try and register your truck at you home of record. Being in the military you can do that...

· Registered
258 Posts
California has some strict smog laws, however the noise laws are the same as any other town. Depending on the time, the cop, and what you're doing really depends on your ticket.

I've had a few mustang, and once I was idling on Main Street in HB and was issued a ticket for noise.

Your best bet is to get some quieter mufflers, and just stay out of the throttle around town.

· Devil's Advocate
8,508 Posts
I work in Law enforcement here in florida and tecnically any modified exhaust is illegal but luckily we dont have vehicle inspections....I've heard lots of horror stories about CA and will never live there because of all there special shit. Cops will only mess with you if there dicks.

· Registered MOPAR User
9,389 Posts
Watch out, Most have this holier than thou syndrome!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.