DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you check catalogs, e-bay, etc. you see air induction kits from $30 to $300. What's makes these different?

·
Wingviper
235 Posts
Well,

The CAI comes in many different forms, some are just a new filter that will go in the stock air box, the most expensive ones replace the entire air intake system I.E. air box, filte, tube, and Hemi Hat.

Wing out :gr_patrio

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the same apply to the 4.7?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Couldn't get the links to work...Sorry

·
Hemi Power
2,017 Posts
Wingviper said:
the most expensive ones replace the entire air intake system I.E. air box, filte, tube, and Hemi Hat.

Wing out :gr_patrio
The Volant is almost 3 bills, and keeps the hemi hat.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess what I'm wondering is, except for a few more parts, what are the design differences that account for the difference in price? I have an 04 QC 4WD 4.7L.

Thanks

233 Posts
RaiderNick said:
I guess what I'm wondering is, except for a few more parts, what are the design differences that account for the difference in price? I have an 04 QC 4WD 4.7L.

Thanks
I have an o4 1500 QC 4wd 4.7L also. 5spd. Manual. I have the entire AirAid system on mine. I also had the AirRam resistor in the ATS circuit but took it out as my mileage dropped. Probably made it too rich for the high altitude where I live.
Basic differences is some are plastic, some are stainless steel. Some replace just the filter, some replace the filter box and the tubing all the way to the throttle body.
My AirAid system is plastic and includes the filter, the CAI, the MIT and the TBS. As a unit it all works very well, but roars a bit when you get on it. Definite increase in power, especially pulling a trailer, gas mileage went up significantly as well. If I were to do it over again though, I'd go with AirRam's system. I didn't know about it at the time.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
...mostly I think it's the Name... The bigger the company and reputation, the bigger the price they charge, I don't doubt that they are all quality intakes... but they are so easy to fabricate that i made my own(and Kappas). Whatever you do or buy, get rid of the Hemi hat/resonator...that robs you of performance.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On a 4.7 should you remove the hat?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info. It sounds as though the cheaper ones are really nothing more than a larger coned air filter and a new tube to the hat. My impression from what you say is that the more expensive ones include and an MIT, spacer, additional insulation and possibly a relocation of the air temp sensor. Correct?

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
..yup, one way to check is to remove the hat and look thru the airway....if you see little openings than it is a resonator...take it off...the real performance intakes don't use the hats...

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
...or make it yourself (see my gallery)... it should work the same as the 4.7...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks pretty simple. Any warranty concerns with removing the hat?

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
I don't think so unless they can prove that what is wrong is directly related to that mod... but to play it safe... I always put the stock Hat and Hose on before i take it to the dealer...5 minute change...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good advice. I'll check into the Air Ram mod. I'll probably do that and Magnaflows first.

·
Registered
473 Posts
We have the Volant kit for the 4.7L in stock and we will sell it to Dodgetalk.com members for $275 shipped in the 48 continental United States.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
For Dodge Talk Members we offer not only the BEST induction system available for your truck but we also offer it at the best price. You have a choice when you chose the AIR RAM INDUCTION system. First you can chose the original kit with EVERYTHING you need for an easy install for only 220.00. The second kit, which is the most popular is the =AIR=RAM=> & =JET=STREAM=> combo deal for 250.00. The AIR RAM will hands down out perform ANY other induction system.

Feel free to check out our link and feel free to contact me with ANY questions.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

www.AIRRAM.com Dodge Talk Discount site.

=AIR=RAM=> Induction system KIT

=AIR=RAM=> & =JET=STREAM=> COMBO

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.