DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, after searching your threads i KNOW iam in the right place...
i am considering joining up and putting my bow tie up for sale ... iam looking at a 2000 durango slt with the 360 motor. beautiful machine on the outside. however she is at 97k and aside from a recent tune up, i do not know what has and what has not been done to the vehice as far as maintenace is concerned was it preventive or reactive??? took it for a drive sounds nice rode smooth fluids looked clean.
slight play in the steering wheel when going over bumps at 30 mph (ball joints?) are the 1st concern ...

and we had a problem shifting into 4LO from a complete stop...
2nd concern iam now thinking we had to be rolling under 5mph to get it to engage. however

we put the truck into neutral (auto transmission) turned off engine she then shifted into 4 Lo started engine ok ...

so my main question is "is the shifting to 4 Lo a sign of transfer case problems to come??? I can say yhat this vehicle has not been off pavement for atleast 40k mi and i live up in the hills of vermont so trust me i WILL be using it the present owner who is family told me he has never used 4 Lo "Is this the reason for the hard shift??" he bought it off a used lot with 60k on it...

so I put this in your capable hands ...
thank you in advance
B

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
Green Mtn K5 said:
hello, after searching your threads i KNOW iam in the right place...
i am considering joining up and putting my bow tie up for sale ... iam looking at a 2000 durango slt with the 360 motor. beautiful machine on the outside. however she is at 97k and aside from a recent tune up, i do not know what has and what has not been done to the vehice as far as maintenace is concerned was it preventive or reactive??? took it for a drive sounds nice rode smooth fluids looked clean.
slight play in the steering wheel when going over bumps at 30 mph (ball joints?) are the 1st concern ...

and we had a problem shifting into 4LO from a complete stop...
2nd concern iam now thinking we had to be rolling under 5mph to get it to engage. however

we put the truck into neutral (auto transmission) turned off engine she then shifted into 4 Lo started engine ok ...

so my main question is "is the shifting to 4 Lo a sign of transfer case problems to come??? I can say yhat this vehicle has not been off pavement for atleast 40k mi and i live up in the hills of vermont so trust me i WILL be using it the present owner who is family told me he has never used 4 Lo "Is this the reason for the hard shift??" he bought it off a used lot with 60k on it...

so I put this in your capable hands ...
thank you in advance
B
The play in the steering wheel could be bump steer from bad shocks. (likely candidate too, especially if they're OEM's). To check the BJ's, jack it up and put your hands on the tire at 12 and 6 o'clock. Then try and rock (not roll) the tire. If there's any play = bad ball joints.

On mine, 4LO can only be engaged with the car stopped and the trans in Neutral. 4HI can be engaged anytime. (The neutral thing is in the owners manual...)

·
Patriot....
3,375 Posts
the t-case shift linkage just might need to be adjusted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
spoke again with the current owner sz its shifting fine now .... my guess is
it was because it was never used... so unless something something does happen to me or the vehicle what with it being friday the 13th and all ...
i'll have it in my driveway monday ....

thanks

B

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
check for stored pcm codes, you'll have an inspection problem if anything's stored.there's a service that comes by me for $75 they go over the whole vehicle, compression test, possible 30 day warr, they go over everything. If you really like it, get it checked. The 4LO probably was NEVER engaged, I've only done it to check it out and after that to work the t-case through the motions. I wouldn't worry about the mileage, maybe you could pull a valve cover and check how clean it looks to get sort of idea of oil change freq. Do it have leather and tweeeters in the doors? Then it's a slt+.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BOught It .... iam IN ! needs shocks in the front ....
i may wait for the spring though... plans for right now
changing tranny filter and rear end oil
flush radaitor and new thermostat
and oil undercoat...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.