DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buying a 2003 Hemi quad cab 4x4 with 78k on it this week. This is my first ram with this many miles on it. What service should I do on it? What things should I check out?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Plugs
Wires
Oil Change
Air Filter
Seafoam Treatment
Drive Belt
Idler pulleys
Tensioner Pulley
Battery
Tranny Flush with Filters
Differential Flush
Coolant Flush
Transfer Case Flush

Thats just the beginning if it were my truck. If it were mine I would do the above, AND:

Coil Packs
New PCV valve
MAP sensor
Radiator Hoses
Thermostat
Change all clamps to worm clamps
09 Steering Upgrade
Shocks
Check U joints/ball joints
And I'm sure more, but theres a good list to start with:D

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Well... thats a long list. Whats the 09 steering upgrade?
If you google it, you'll get some vendors. It replaces the Y style linkage with a stronger T style, new tie rod ends, new pitman arm, and new steering dampner. It;s a TSB through Dodge. It's a stronger design, and very reccommended.

·
Rookie
708 Posts
If it were me I would make whoever I'm buying it from do all that or at least some/most of it

·
Redtruck-VA
2,758 Posts
If it were me I would make whoever I'm buying it from do all that or at least some/most of it
That's why they are called "used" and not "new" trucks...

·
Rookie
708 Posts
Well everyone should do the oil change, air filter and fluid flush for you when you buy a new or used car/truck

·
Registered
439 Posts
Add Valve Springs to that list, otherwise it's not gonna make it past 125k. Also is it a 1500 or 2500? If a 1500 the 09 Steering Upgrade won't apply.

·
Redtruck-VA
2,758 Posts
Well everyone should do the oil change, air filter and fluid flush for you when you buy a new or used car/truck
Perhaps in a perfect world. Negotiate the best deal based on the vehicle's condition. I would personally perfer seeing the vehicle before it being prepared for resale and do the service work myself. Not all 03/04 have bad valve springs, the problem is it is impossible to know which do or don't. Changing them is cheap insurance. Good luck....

·
living life
6,909 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Before you go and doing everything on that list, just take it to a mechanic and have them put it on a lift and check everything out. Chances are it won't need all that much. Try and get service records from the previous owner, or call up your local Dodge dealer and see if you can get the service records from them. They will have access to every service/repair done at any Dodge dealership.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Nothing against the guys that own them but after seeing all the info on this and other websites I wouldn't buy an 03.
If you are going to get it I would have to agree with all of the above items and unless the seller has proof the valve springs have been replaced I would factor that into the purchase price.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Nothing against the guys that own them but after seeing all the info on this and other websites I wouldn't buy an 03.
If you are going to get it I would have to agree with all of the above items and unless the seller has proof the valve springs have been replaced I would factor that into the purchase price.

I have an 03 Hemi w/ 93k...Love my truck but problems are surfacing. What's with the valve springs? Would love to do a cam...but no thanks..to much $$ and I have priority's... Should I be looking into replacing mine? (springs)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What problems on yours are surfacing ?

Realistically any truck with 75,000 plus miles nearing ten years old is going to have issues. Cords got bad tranny, spark plug, cracked manifolds etc. Chevys got emissions, tranny, electrical issues and dodge has most what's in here. So we can all expect repair bills with new truck payments.

Does anyone think an 04 hemi 4x4 offroad package with 114,000 miles is worth 3,000 dollars more then a 2003 hemi quad cab with 20's and 78,000 miles? The 04 has bubbling rear fenders just starting BTW. The 03 is clean except rust on tail gate.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Mine is pinion seal (which I found out about a month ago is extrememly common problem)and when its in 4wd it shutters...getting it looked at on monday...some other small things...the rust is big w/ dodges which I knew...my driveside rear fender is bubbling as well. Also Tailgate started bubbling a tiny bit on the very bottom.

I am not at all complaining about maintaining my vehicle etc. LOL But to me...any manufacturer should put the best stuff on vehicles so you don't have ball joints going out every 30k miles, etc! Just my opinoin. Sorry I hijacked your post. But I would personally go w/ the 03 hemi! Just make sure you have a mechanic look at it or go over it and make sure there isn't a lot of problems. Or big ones....a lot of the little ones you can do yourself.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok thanks for all the input. I like the 04 better but its got some bubbles of rust and the drivers seat is in poor condition, its got 36,000 more miles and its almost 3grand more so I'm liking the 03 alot better so far. I've also heard that the rear ends issues are very common in these trucks as well as rust. Keeping my fingers crossed I pick the better one lol

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Ok thanks for all the input. I like the 04 better but its got some bubbles of rust and the drivers seat is in poor condition, its got 36,000 more miles and its almost 3grand more so I'm liking the 03 alot better so far. I've also heard that the rear ends issues are very common in these trucks as well as rust. Keeping my fingers crossed I pick the better one lol
The rear end issue is a C clip on the 1500s. It really doesn't even need to be in there. My 03 has no rust, or bubbling, and I live in MN with plenty of snow/rain/salt. A weekly carwash and detail to drying it out can solve this problem. IMO I would get the 03, less miles and cheaper. Springs are a "safety net". Some are defective, MOST are not. I didn't wait, at 52k I swapped them over to 6.1 springs. I now have 52,700 miles on it;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.