Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Christopher
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All -

I thought I would share my experience with you folks and you can make up your own mind. I purchased a loaded (not Limited) 2004 SLT Hemi Durango back in November and I've put about 18k miles on it. I've been looking into trading it for a Diesel Ram to make pulling a 5300 lb trailer a little more comfortable. I paid about $29k for the truck and the best I can get on trade is $20k. I've seen 05 Limited's with low miles for sale for less than $25k in central Texas. I've seen D's just like mine retailing for $22k.

I'm kicking myself now because I feel like a moron for making such a bad purchasing decision. Not because of the D, I love the truck, but because of the massive depreciation. I know this can be true of any new vehicle, so I only have myself to blame.

Thank goodness, the D can pull my trailer... I guess I'll have to live with it. :WHT:

Christopher

·
Registered
59 Posts
You must have never bought a new car before? There are very few new vehicles that you can drive off the stealers lot without taking a BIG hit. The first that comes to my mind would be a Big Harley, second maybe a MB. I keep my rides so long that this does not become an issue. I just sold my 10 year old Blazer with 166k on it for $2500 stealer was going to give me $1500. I paid $24,000 for it in 1995. Dam thing did not owe me a red cent.

·
Registered
256 Posts
A friend of mine is a general manager at a car dealer and I got my Hemi D Limited with 34k on it for 19.7k$. They were asking 26.5k$. He said that the SUV market is dropping out fast (and there is a lot of proof to back this up). When I looked at the sticker of a new limited hemi it was 42.3k$.

·
Christopher
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JibeHo said:
You must have never bought a new car before? There are very few new vehicles that you can drive off the stealers lot without taking a BIG hit. The first that comes to my mind would be a Big Harley, second maybe a MB. ...snip....
Actually, I have purchased 4 new vehicles...Mazda pickup, Nissan Altima, Honda Accord & Harley Davidson. I still have the Nissan and the Harley (I'll have it forever). Anyway, none of these vehicles have depreciated like D.

Shopping around for the Diesel Ram has also taught me a big lesson. I'm finding 2004 models with less than 20k miles for around $10k to $13k off original sticker. I'll chalk this one up to experience, I should have known better. I will have to go into "major paydown" mode and try to trade again next summer. Of course, by next summer, I'll only be able to get $10k. Live & Learn...

Christopher

·
Investigator
992 Posts
My D was my 5th new vehicle in past 5 years. I dont think the depreciation is any worse than others I have seen or dealt with. The thing I have noticed about the D's is there is a LOT of play in the listed price. Almost everyone can work out over $10K from asking prices. This is generally all lost in resale.

Another thing to consider is the place you are trying to trade it at. Some larger dealerships use a "black" book price which is much lower than edmunds or blue book. It is typically reflective of a wholesale price. Regardless of the options you have on the SLT, it would still list as an `04 SLT in the Black book thus grouping it in the same pricegroup as all other SLT's. I would suggest checking independent car dealers, carmax, or selling privately to avoid the pitfalls of the stealership.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My Hemi D towed an auto transport with car (AWD Turbo Talon) full of crap (safe, clothes, books, magazines) from North Carolina to Arkansas, through those jacked up mountains of Tennessee on CC (when able) to about 70mph, and it was so comfortable of a drive. I'd take that anyday over a nasty ass harsh riding, no turning radius, turbo diesel truck. I'd say my trailer and car total weight was about 5500lbs. I don't own a diesel truck ,but I do own a full-size Chevy extended cab Silverado, and I still tow my horsetrailer with the Hemi instead of my truck just for the simple factor of comfort. SUV's are the best all-around vehicle to have. Driving a big-ol rig that you want every day will put a drain on you after while. MY buddy has a F250 4dr turbo-diesel. He loves it when he tows his Maita to SCCA events, but wishes he had a smarter vehicle to use as his daily driver. Just my 2 cents.

·
2012 Texas Ram Express
4,220 Posts
My sister and her Husband traded in there 04 Durango SLT loaded pretty nicely with 4.7v8, leather, etc, and not to many miles on it, and the dealer has it on there lot now for 19,995, they got 19k for it when they traded it in, the dealer tried selling it for 21,995, but had to go down, guess cause no takers yet on a 4.7 Durango gas hog.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Trade in value is gonna be far lower than what you could get selling it yourself. I paid 24K (33K MSRP sticker) for my 2004 Durango SLT, 4x4, Hemi with Tow package and alloy rims and not many other options. KBB and Edmunds show retail for it now to be about 21K. Trade in value would be about 18K.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.