Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am buying a 1966 A100. I used to drive one my dad owned back in early 80's and have been wanting one ever since. It drives pretty well but I'm nervous about getting parts and doing repairs. I'm thinking I should get a list of parts that are likley to fail and start looking even before I need them. Does that make sense? Does anyone want to offer suggestions of what parts I should start looking for? The van is in original condition with about 170k on a slant 6. I've ordered a service manual from books4cars. Are there any other books or manuals out there I should get? I'm confident I can do the work if I can get the right info and parts, which I know will be a challenge.

Attached are some photos. Wish me luck.

Attachments

·
'98 B2500 Ram Cargo Van
680 Posts
That looks REEEAAALLLy NICE! I like the nicely preserved, original examples.\

Do you know anything about the history of that particular van? If not, AND the paint job is pretty recent, I'd suggest giving it a very carefull inspection to make sure there's not a lot of bondo on it. Always be suspicious of a new paint job.

There's several guys here very knowledgable on the parts situation. I'm sure they will throw in their .02 soon.

Anyway, great find. Good luck with it. Let us know how everything works out after you buy it. I've been wanting an A van myself for quite a while now. Some day.....when the planets align.

Pete

·
'98 B2500 Ram Cargo Van
680 Posts
One other thing I just thought of that you may not know. I believe the left side wheels use L.H. thread lug nuts. Some one please confirm this, as I thought this came up here a month or two ago, and I read that prior to a certain year - 1970 ???? - all Mopars used that system.

If indeed that is true, its a good thing to know before you find out the hard way.

Pete

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Nice looking van. Next time post up pics as jpg's then they will show and are about 1/10the in size so it doesn't take as long to load them.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the van is in Richmond, KY. The original owner was a Chrysler mechanic and now the grandson is the second owner.

Thanks for the encouragement, I'll post some more photos when I get the van.

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
actually, my brother lives there, and I was thinking about buying that very van and having him store it for me until I could get down there and pick it up

small world

Glad its going to someone who will enjoy it

congrats

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
What kind of parts are looking to get? Most mechanical parts are available from any parts store.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
van-nut said:
One other thing I just thought of that you may not know. I believe the left side wheels use L.H. thread lug nuts. Some one please confirm this, as I thought this came up here a month or two ago, and I read that prior to a certain year - 1970 ???? - all Mopars used that system.

If indeed that is true, its a good thing to know before you find out the hard way.

Pete
That is right Pete...prior to '71 all Mopars used LH lugs/nuts on the driver side hubs.

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
On that left-hand lug issue, the original studs have an "L" stamped into the end of them.
-B-300-

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not yet. It's in good running condition so I decided to drive it home and my friend that will give me a ride to KY is not availabe until it Saturday the 11th.

When I test drove it I had a hard time getting it going in first because that gear is much taller than I'm used to. I've talked to a few people about it and they said that's OK and it will just take some time to get the hang of it. I don't remember having trouble with it with my Dad's van, but memory fades.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got it

I got the van this weekend and drove it about 120 miles to storage. The oil light stays on and when I checked the oil it obviously needed changed. I bought a service manual and discovered the oil filter is a cartridge type. I haven't looked for one yet. Also, the oil filter, the distributer, the plugs, etc are all on the far side of the slant 6. With the engine box on I can't get to them. Any advice on the easiest way to change the oil and tune up the engine? Do I need to take the engine box apart? I'm a little concerned I might need a new oil pump. Could the oil pressure gauge be bad? Also, the engine box insulation is toast, any recomendations on replacing it?

The engine ID tag attached to the block is also on the far side. I'm not sure if I have the 170 or 225 CI engine. I have attached some photos including a pencil rubbing of the as manufactured specs rivited to the driver side wheel well. The HP rating is 127 hp at 3900 rpm. That sounds like a 225 to me but I'm not sure.

I will keep posting as I make progress. It's as cool as I thought it would be! It's a real head turner and I received a lot of comments at the gas station.

Attachments

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
Quick Specs: 170-1 Slant-Six

Firing Order1-5-3-6-2-4

Bore3.41 Stroke3.125

Displacement170

Compression8.5:1

Basic Timing2.5 BTDC

Horsepower101 @ 4000 rpm

Torque145 @ 1600 rpm

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
Quick Specs: 225-1, 225-2 Slant-Six

Firing Order1-5-3-6-2-4

Bore 3.41 Stroke 4.125

Displacement224.43

Compression8.4:1

Basic Timing2.5 BTDC

Horsepower140 @ 3900 rpm

Torque215 @ 1600 rpm

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
You have the 225.

You'll need to remove the passenger seat (easy) and remove the right side of the engine box to gain access to the tune-up stuff. Oil filter you can get to from underneath when you do the oil change. It's quite possible that the wire may have come the oil sending unit or you need a new one. Oil pumps are an easy change, but you have to remove the distributor to do it on a slant six.

Looks like you have the A745 transmission...that's the heavy duty transmission for the A-vans. 3.23 rear gear ratio and 4600# GVW.

You can get new insulation from Summit Racing. That's what I've used on my A's in the past. Follow the yellow brick link, follow the yellow brick link ;)

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntt=heat+mat&N=700+115+4294845359&Ntk=KeywordSearch

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
OH, BTW, if you plan on swapping out the points distributor for electronic ignition, I can help with a parts list and instructions. It's simple.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.