DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just baught an 85 ram 150 with a 360 C.I. automatic long box reg. cab. Its a little bit of a project fixing it back up. its been sitting for about 2 years. i had it running really well and tuned the 4 barrel pretty well, but then shut it off in my shop and restarted. the engine cranked but it did not want to fire. then came the wire smoke from the drivers side above the fender well... a pink wire going into a plugged in box was cookin and the other end going into a white porcelin "thing" on my fire wall next to the steering shaft was smoking. if anyone has any advice for me i'll take it!!! thanks

-Nathan Owen-

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
The white porcelain thing is the ballast resistor. If I recall correctly the pink wire is ignition power.
I would bet your ignition coil is shorted and caused to much current to go throuh the wiring... Take it off and shake it, if you here oil slosh it's done.
If you have an ohmeter, remove the wires and it should measure about 1.5 ohms acroos them and about 7000ohms from either wire terminal to the center spark tower.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i have a ram 50 that will do this if you leave the key on with the engine not running my solution is to not leave the key on when its not running , no clue as to why its like that , hopefully someone will know

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey thanks Mr. B300 was right on cash money. the old wires inside the harness were cracking and shorted out the pink power wire to the coil. i just cut out the old pink wire and wired in some new wire throughout the harness and now it runs. thanks!!! one other thing though. im trying to set the timing on it fairly close. counter clockwise all the way as far as the distributor will turn will let it run. any way clockwise it wont run at all. im guessing it needs to go further counter clockwise... im thinking it got installed 1 tooth off. let me know what you think if you all have the time thank ya again!
-Nathan 01-

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
Move the wires around one hole on the cap clockwise, that will move #1 around one hole clockwise, which will give you more room to move the distributor where it needs to be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.