DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 Caravan, I’m guessing I have an oil leak somewhere. Oil is a slow drip on the drivers side. Sometimes I smell oil burning while driving so it’s probably pooling somewhere first. I think I got a pic of where, in the pic it’s the drivers side right in the Center of the photo is pooled oil. And when idoling, the temp goes up to almost H and then the fan kicks on and it cools down to normal, over and over again. Replaced thermostat for that. No change. I’m not sure if it’s related to the oil issue. Based on where the oil is accumulating, any ideas on what I should be replacing?

Tire Helmet Automotive tire Hood Tread

· Registered
828 Posts
Oil filter housings are on the top side of the engine on the 3.6. The housings are known to leak and generally requires replacement. I don't remember where the oil in the intake valley would run off, but I'd look at the back of the block under the intake and look for a leak trail. I'd wager oil is findiing its way to the rearward exhaust pipe off the engine.

Check your oil level for now. Depending on engine design, an intake valley can hold quite a bit of oil that should be in the crank case.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oil filter housings are on the top side of the engine on the 3.6. The housings are known to leak and generally requires replacement. I don't remember where the oil in the intake valley would run off, but I'd look at the back of the block under the intake and look for a leak trail. I'd wager oil is findiing its way to the rearward exhaust pipe off the engine.

Check your oil level for now. Depending on engine design, an intake valley can hold quite a bit of oil that should be in the crank case.
I had an oil change 3 weeks ago and I’m down half a quart today. I’ll take a look where you said. Thank you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts