DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i brake my brake pedal starts to bounce and you can hear thumping noise. It doesnt happen all the time but more times than not. I checked my brake pads and they are like new, just got this car from my brother, it seems to start after i replaced the snowtires to summer tires after my trip several months ago, It didnt do it when i had my studded tires/wheels on and i drove from Montana to Washington state. it seems to get a little worse the faster i go to the point after 60mph the car sometimes feels shaky, i am not a car guy, where should i start looking at the problem since i already checked the brake pads, i prefer to learn and fix this myself rather than taking it to the shop if possible.
Should i get an alignment? Friends said it also could be warped rotors, but just wanted to get more opinions before i move on.
thanks.

·
Registered
2008 Ram Bighorn
286 Posts
I would start by making sure the lugs are torqued properly, next would be to check your rotors, they might look fine, but could be warping when they get warm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will check on lugs, I use a torque wrench that is used for bolts, but they could have loosened over time. How would you check rotors that warp if it only happens when they get hot?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really don't want to take it to the shop since I got ripped off before and lied to, I'll ask around for trusted shops and go from there, maybe they can show me what it looks like so I know they aren't just trying to rip me off.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Also check for blue (hot) spots on rotors--another thing caliper hanging up & dragging-----I had this happen to me, this caused severe steering wobbling when it got hot till I replaced caliper (twice) TWO different passenger side calipers that were hanging up--phenolic piston on both--2nd one was a rebuilt that parts store warranted 3rd a charm--- don't forget to take a peak @ rear brakes/drums. I had a sever thumping & pulsating in brake pedal when applying brakes that appeared out of nowhere. Check front brakes OK then the back brakes & (you won't believe this) one of the shoe pads came loose/free & attached itself (don't know how) to the drum thus when applying brakes shoe would ride over it creating thump/pulsating--I would of thought wheel would lock up because of this but it didn't---chiseled shoe pad off of drum dressed drum--replaced shoes problem solved

1 - 8 of 8 Posts