DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to build my on cold air intake, but I need to know things first like: all components needed, what diameter of pipe, best box design, filter location. Is it worth the time or should I just spend the money on a kit?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
im not much help on the direct questions you asked because im not sure myself...so I am buying an eBay cold air intake with the stainless polished tubing and buying an AEM Dryflow AIr Dilter directly from their website...Basically building my own AEM Brute Force Intake...total cost around $125...$60 for ebay and $50 for AEM Filter...there are tons of options when it comes to these

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Where can I get one of those 30hp stickers!?!? :)

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Haha I like that one.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
If you scan that 30hp sticker to your computer, enlarge it by 50%, and reprint it, you will get 60hp instead.

·
What a ride...
1,215 Posts
I think this has to be my favorite sticker. Don't think that it is worth much in the HP area but who cares.

This is in the trunk of my brother in laws Challenger.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
bfowkes said:
I think this has to be my favorite sticker. Don't think that it is worth much in the HP area but who cares.

This is in the trunk of my brother in laws Challenger.
:thatfunny That's priceless...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ok, if that small one on the intake is worth 30hp, then if tou put a banner on the front or back window you would get like 200-300 hp man that would be way better than a blower(dollar for dollar that is)

Oh yeah RAM MAN where can i find one of those stickers, I have thought of making one like the STOP one you get when you get a K&N to tell idiots not to throw it away
But not sure how to make it, did you make yours

P.S. sorry for the hijack, and no Im not saying HI to Jack hehehehe.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ok back to the question you asked about building a cold air intake, there are several ways you can go about this. First you will need to gather these tools: tin snips pop rivet gun, rivets of course Possibly a dremmel or diegrinder Not necessary but handy. some small sheet metal screws, 1/4 to 1/2 inch are best, and a drill you can substitute the dremmel with a elec drill if you choose. and a metal brake, you can get a hand brake which looks like pliers with 4" blades on it. from Home depot lowes or menards, in the ventilation or plumbing dept .. they will be located by the hand tools used for making heating vents.

Ill post a drawing of this idea, I will take some pics of the area under the hood and draw in where i plan to build My cold air box.

this is the one I am going to make as soon as I get time.

·
What a ride...
1,215 Posts
RAM MAN said:
nice

I gotta find the correct ones for my trunk

thanks for the reminder

I will talk to my brother in law I am sure that he will know places to get them.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Post #3
I found this before and kept it ...

never tried this kinda setup before, but for whatever its worth
only problem with that setup is the "new style air hat" is really a stock air hat from a Jeep or Durango. The ones that come on the Jeep V8s are very restrictive because they are made thin to clear the hood.
I have read a LOT of studies, and on the 2nd gen 5.2 & 5.9 V8s, an open element will flow more air and perform better than the CAI. Yes, the air is warmer when sitting at idle, when moving at speeds of 10 or faster the difference is negligible.
That is why I am running an open intake instead of a CAI, that and the fact that CAI don't handle deep water/mud submersion too well.

CAIs do dress up the engine compartment nicely though.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
I bought an air hat from a Durango to see if I could make something for my Ram Van
I haven't been under any new Dodge vans, but my Dad's old 79 B300 had tons of room under the dog house for a air intake setup. We ended up using the large stock round hat, and modified the snout on the hat to accept 4" tubing, which we ran from the front of the grill.
The van is gone, but he still has the 360 & TF 727 which he is installing into a 02 D150 he bought.
off topic but: in addition to the stock rebuild we did - with a comp cams 'RV cam', a set of cheap-o JC whitney headers, a Holley 750 w/ vac secondaries, and a aftermarket ignition setup, it would move that big yellow POS van to 60 in 8.1 seconds. That thing was fast.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.