DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys Ive heard it said the only stupid question is the one not asked, so here goes. What are Budd wheels. thanks Dennis

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
On pickups it would be the company that made the wheels. (I think) On a semi it is a type of wheel.
:gr_patrio Charlie

·
Registered
36 Posts
"BUDD" style wheels are the style found on "duelly" wheel trucks.
Plain steel rims are what you find on the 1/2 and 3/4 ton vehicles.
"DAYTON" style rims are what you see on most of the older semi truck where the hub and spokes are separate from the round rim. The rim mounts to boss' machined at the end of the spokes of the hub like this...

http://www.olddodges.com/index1.htm
This webpage shows both styles of rim. BUDD and DAYTON
http://www.olddodges.com/index1.htm

·
Registered
577 Posts
Budd Wheels on large trucks are a Stud centered wheel. The right side has right hand threads and the left side has left hand threads. On Dual wheel Setups, there is an outer and innier lug nut. The inner nut is a 13/16" square, and the outer is a 1 1/2" Hex Nut. Personally, I hate em, take too long to get off and to get back on and torqued.

The 2 piece wheels are simply called cast spoke wheels ;)

CC

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
For the last several years the budd wheels on new big trucks have been hub centered. They can be a real b-tch to get off sometimes.
:gr_patrio

·
Registered
577 Posts
We don't see em alot, i hate the daggum things :VHOT:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info Guy's the reason I was asking is because I was thinking about ordering a set of simulators from Northern Tool and they say they won't fit Budd wheels. What I have is a 1 ton 1989 w350 with dual wheels and a flat bed. so they should work.
thanks again Dennis

·
Registered
152 Posts
CaptainCummins said:
We don't see em alot, i hate the daggum things :VHOT:
I see Budd wheels everday on semi-trucks & trailers. The Budd Wheel use to be called the WEST COAST WHEELS, WHERE the DAYTON WHEELS were much more common on the EAST COAST. They were the pain in the a$$. They would get off-center & wobble. You had to make sure you tighten the lugs even. I don't know if Budd ever built wheels for pick-ups of modern era.

·
Registered
36 Posts
dennisg said:
Thanks for the info Guy's the reason I was asking is because I was thinking about ordering a set of simulators from Northern Tool and they say they won't fit Budd wheels. What I have is a 1 ton 1989 w350 with dual wheels and a flat bed. so they should work.
thanks again Dennis
If you have a W350 with duels, then you DO have budd style wheels. They won't fit. The duel wheel is a BUDD style rim.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.