DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I have a 2003 Dakota R/T..I just had a promblem that my driver side shock bolts broke on me and left half the bolt still in the nut thats welded on the control arm. My promblem is that i was only able to get one of the broken bolts out, the other one will not budge, so at this time i've only got one bolt hodling my shock in place. Dealership wants $450 to try to take it out, and if not id have to replace it for $750. Does anyone have any ideas of how to fix this promblem? I have been thinkin of show how tryin to knock off the welded nut and just using a bolt and nut to replace it? Any other ideas???

·
Banned
8,865 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
I know your pain! I had this happen to me when I changed the front shock last month. ...only I had both lower bolts break on the driver's side. I grabbed my Craftsman extractors and no luck. The problem is that no drill has the power to remove corroded bolts. Think about it, why did they break in the first place???

So I grabbed my drill punch, drill, sharp titanium drill bits, 8mm x 1.25 tap and cutting oil. The key is to use the drill punch on the broken shaft so as to make it easier to keep your drill bit centered. Once you punched enough to make an indent, grab a small bit (1/8) and drill (straight up through the stud. Once you're through, grab a bigger bit to widen out the hole. ...after every time you go up a bit sized look at the hole that you drilled. Once you see faint thread marks on the sides, you can grab an ice pick to chip away some of the starter threads. ...either on the top or bottom, whichever is easier. Once you've chipped out some of that first course of thread, grab the tap and slather it with cutting oil. Remember that once you get it started, for every half turn you make back it all of the way out so as to clear the debris. If you take your time and check the sides after each drilling you'll get it out. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
For the hell of it take it to you local Monroe or Midas and see what they will charge. Was the dealer just going to replace the bolts or the shocks also. Sounds like they wanted to charge you for 6-8hrs of labor.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The $400 was for tryin to get the other bolt out and labor, the $700 was to replace everything with labor....thanks again...I'll have to try both methods if i can't get it the frist try.

·
01RC2WD4.75SPD
790 Posts
Happened to me but i removed the bottom ball joint and was able to get a vice grip on th etop pf the bolt and basically pul it out that way, turning it 1/8 of a turn each step of the way. then i just matched the thread and got another bolt. It sucked when that happened

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea i tried vice gribs...only able to get one out so i've only got one bolt still in it still want to get that other one out so it doesnt' happen again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.