DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:VHOT: Has anyone had a wheel lock crack or break where you couldn't get it off?
Anyone have an easy way of getting the the cracked nut off. My socket just keeps slipping off. No, I did not use an impact gun. I know better than that.
To be honest, all 3 nuts somehow cracked. I started in the front to install my steel 20's for the winter. Both cracked while trying to unbolt them. I managed to get them off. I got to the rear and I stopped there. That one cracked in 3 places. I didn't even bother to try the other rear one. These
f--kin nuts are sh1t! Back with ordinary lug nuts.
This is the second time around. Th first time, one cracked and because I had warranty, they replaced all of them. Nothing but defective pieces of sh1t :VHOT:
Your help is always appreciated.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
i welded a shitty socket on one i couldnt get off

·
Registered
562 Posts
I broke one this spring, a factory one - split it in one spot so the key wouldn't engage enough to turn it. The dealership hammered on this splined socket tool and just turned it right off. I then bought McGaurd locks - much thicker wall. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!
I too tried the 7/8 socket as well and a 24mm and some how closed in the sides When hammering it on where it was cracked and reused the key and it broke free and was able to unscrew the piece of sh1t. They were the cheap factory locks that the dealership replaced because the first set cracked also.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nathan K said:
go on ebay and get some gorilla lugs
Are these lugs a heavy duty type?

·
Registered Confuser
6,365 Posts
im not sure whether they can be considered heavy duty, but i looked around before i got mine and they seemed to be the biggest name brand when it came to lug nuts. I've got the spline lock style and have had no problems with them. They are definitely better than the factory crap

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
When I bought my wheels on craigslist this past summer, they were from a guy with a small tire shop in a "tougher" part of Denver. I asked him about locks and he said the only people that the locks prevent from removing the wheels are the owners. He pretty much said if a thief wants your wheels they will get them.

·
Registered Confuser
6,365 Posts
ggravant said:
When I bought my wheels on craigslist this past summer, they were from a guy with a small tire shop in a "tougher" part of Denver. I asked him about locks and he said the only people that the locks prevent from removing the wheels are the owners. He pretty much said if a thief wants your wheels they will get them.
very true. its impossible to stop a good determined thief. They may slow him down though or make him look on to the next car

·
You've been Hijacked
14,749 Posts
ggravant said:
x2......save the money that you would spend on wheel locks and get something else.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My lug jut got stripped on the originals, i said screw it if somebody wants my 20's and can afford to put tires on them, go for it. Nothing but regular lug nuts for me.

·
Registered Confuser
6,365 Posts
TheFacts said:
My lug jut got stripped on the originals, i said screw it if somebody wants my 20's and can afford to put tires on them, go for it. Nothing but regular lug nuts for me.
most people stealing wheels aren't puttin them on their own cars, but rather selling them to Jamal down the street for crack money

·
Registered
533 Posts
They make wheel lock removal kits that are specifically for taking off either broken locks or locks that you don't have a key for. We have several of them at my dad's shop. It's usually just some sort of socket you hammer on real tight and pull it off. I think someone mentioned a splined socket above which is similiar.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Nathan K said:
most people stealing wheels aren't puttin them on their own cars, but rather selling them to Jamal down the street for crack money
Yes i know this, i was making a crack at a joke, failed!, lol

It cost me 30 bucks to get all four taken off at discount.

·
Registered Confuser
6,365 Posts
TheFacts said:
Yes i know this, i was making a crack at a joke, failed!, lol

It cost me 30 bucks to get all four taken off at discount.
oh haha, i see what you mean, and its about the damn truth! probably one reason ill stick with 17's forever

·
Registered
314 Posts
if this happens to anyone else. do this to avoid damaging your rims or lug nuts. get yourself a set of extractors. they are designed to bite into the broken lug/bit/screwor whatever as you turn it. i've used them a few times and they are a lifesaver.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.