DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone elses key's security buttons stop working?? I know that it is the connection. My dad has fixed it once and it broke again. This is happening in both of the keys. Dealer wants $100+ to get a new key. Anybody got suggestions on how to fix it??

·
Where is the snow?
4,118 Posts
Something about soldering something....dammit don't remember. Sorry...

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did it, helped for a while. Broke again though. Although only did that in one key. Have to do it in the newly broken other one :ugh

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I think its the battery holder that breaks loose alot too.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't even know lol

·
Mopar Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
11,190 Posts
Never had any issues with mine....Sorry about your misfortune. :mad:

·
Registered
53 Posts
No offense to those who think the keys for the D are great, but they are of cheap materials and quality. Mine have broke many times. I may be able to help you with the button.

First, look on EBAY for a "shell" that matches our keys. It is cheap. Most times, it is the underside of rubber buttons messing up the "circuit board" in the case. They wear after time. Most people blame it on the board or the key when its really the shell.

The 2 prongs that hold the battery in place come out of its socket and needs to be re-soldered sometimes. Make sure your getting good contact with the battery. When the battery is loose, only "some" of the buttons work, not all of them.

·
11,190 Posts
I guess I should take better care of mine so they don't get broken. :YO: :ugh

·
11,190 Posts
If you have two or three keys, you could buy some additional gray head keys off eBay for under $30
Why do you call them gray head keys? Do you have an active link. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
This happened to both my keys when I first bought my D. I opened them up and soldered the connection that was loose and was back in action. A few days later it happened again just to a different solder joint, so make sure all connections are good!

·
11,190 Posts
This happened to both my keys when I first bought my D. I opened them up and soldered the connection that was loose and was back in action. A few days later it happened again just to a different solder joint, so make sure all connections are good!
Damn! What is it with these junk keys. WTF! :mad: :ugh

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
148 Posts
A cheap solution i found was just putting a piece of thin cardboard the size of the battery terminal inside the housing over the battery to keep the battery connection snug. It should be thick enough to make snapping the two pieces back together a bit harder, but not impossible. That seems to have alleviated the loose battery problem.

No amount of solder or glue worked as well... go figure. Ive had mine functioning for well over a month after it died, even revived an old one i had sitting in a drawer since i bought the D using the same technique. Low tech design = low tech solution.

The keys really do suck

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
11,190 Posts
A cheap solution i found was just putting a piece of thin cardboard the size of the battery terminal inside the housing over the battery to keep the battery connection snug. It should be thick enough to make snapping the two pieces back together a bit harder, but not impossible. That seems to have alleviated the loose battery problem.

No amount of solder or glue worked as well... go figure. Ive had mine functioning for well over a month after it died, even revived an old one i had sitting in a drawer since i bought the D using the same technique. Low tech design = low tech solution.

The keys really do suck
Mine have been good up to this point but I wonder for how much longer. :ugh

·
11,190 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Both my keys have this issue- I paid the $150 to replace one, not looking to do the same for the other one - the metal piece that holds the battery in place completly broke off, but can get it to "snap" back, but still doesn't work after I put the fob back together. Going to try the cardboard next....crap is what these are - poor design.

·
Registered
125 Posts
cardboard trick worked for me. Cut a piece of a cardboard box (an amazon box) the size of the battery and put it in - snapped it all back together and I've just saved myself $150 courtesy of this idea thanks bookreaper!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.