DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings! I'm much more handy with a computer than trucks. Here's what I've found:
My '03 5.7L 1500 4WD has lost cruise control. It stays on (based on indicator light). But when I press "SET" at desired speed, it either does nothing, or turns CC off completely.
I first thought it needed a replacement switch module (about $30 and easy install based on YouTube). I have not done this yet.
Further searching directed me to checking for error code. Using the ignition on-off-on-off-on technique, I got:
P0585
Speed Control Switch Correlation Error
Possible causes
- Faulty clock spring
- Clock spring harness is open or shorted
- Clock spring circuit poor electrical connection
Mopar site suggests clockspring is $120 part and related to driver air bag.

1) Should I order part and replace myself, or take it in? I'm not experienced, but a good student. :)
2) Will my air bag work? I can live without CC (mostly city driver), but want the airbag if needed!
3) Would this error code get flagged at annual inspection? (North Carolina)
4) Should I clear error code and see if CC then works? The problem was intermittent and progressively worse the last few months, now a total fail, so I suspect it is a real problem.

Love my truck. It's given me very little trouble. Only 102K miles and plan to keep it a couple more years. Especially when I look at the price of new ones!

·
Registered
743 Posts
Is the airbag light on? If so, it's probably a faulty clockspring.

For safety's sake I'd take it in (unless you really know what you are doing). You don't want the airbag blowing up in your face. Probably about $200 parts and labor.

Not sure about NC, but here in VA, a CEL or airbag light is an automatic fail during the state inspection.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply, Doug D. The airbag light is not on. I never thought about the airbag until I found out what the error code means, and then saw on YouTube someone replacing the left switch module and taking the steering wheel cover off. Is there a fuse for the airbag I could pull if trying to replace a part? I haven't been able to find out exactly what the clockspring is or does, or how to replace it, or if it is even likely to fix the cruise control problem. I don't mind taking it in, but I'm trying to avoid $400 if it won't fix the CC, if I can try it at home for $120.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hickoryhemi
Did you find out what your problem with the cruise control? I have the same year Hemi and the exact same symptoms and code. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pkasprzyk:
The problem sort of went away before I acted. It now works about 80-90% of the time. When it fails, I experiment with pressing the "set" button in different ways and can usually get it to work. I know it sound like voodoo, but that's about all I got for dealing with electrical issues. :)

So I wonder if it is a faulty switch/module. If the problem worsens again (maybe the cold weather helps it?), I think I'll just order a new CC module online and replace it myself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Kind of sounds like yours may be the switch? I was thinking switch or clockspring. I may order both from Rockauto and return the one I don't need. I know I can save $50 on the clockspring compared to Autozone price.

Temp dropped from 78 degrees to the 30's overnight (Only in Texas). I might see if works today..

Thanks for you quick response..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good video on youtube, seems pretty simple. What this guy doesn't tell you is to take neg. battery cable off and wait 5 minutes for the airbag to disengage. The clockspring is just a couple bolts more... FYI Switch seems to be a dealer part...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thought I would follow up on this thread to let you know we finally had a couple days above 70 degrees and I was able to test out the new switch I had installed. Works like a charm! Took about 30 minutes to install and 10 minutes of that was waiting to make sure airbags were disengaged after disconnecting battery. The screws on switch (hole in back side of steering wheel) I believe are a Torx t-10. And if I recall right, the two on top are a t-27. Our local Dodge dealer was asking double the price I could find the switch online. Think I paid a little over $30 for the switch. Just glad I didn't have to jack with the clockspring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.