DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Doc
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just pulled off the cover and was ready to install the RP and my new painted cover. I reached in to clean out all of the grease and I feel the clips laying int he bottom. This will be the 2nd set. Does DC still replace them or are they just letting it go? This sux!
The Doc..... :VHOT:

·
All Around Great Guy
12,674 Posts
WTF! Bad install!

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
hemi1569 said:
WTF! Bad install!
LOL>.. its called a crappy rear end, and DC is making money off it each time it happens. They should have recalled that 9.25 rear gear YEARS ago. But they just keep saying " your the first one" "I have never seen this before" but you get on the forums and thats all you hear about.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
276 Posts
Actually, the clip problem was isolated to a few years. The older Rams that had the anti spin unit made by Dana were fine and were used many years. My '98 has 130k and it still works fine. When they switched and started buying the American Axle Unit, they had 2-3 years of problems and then it has been corrected. I don't believe that there are any problems from '05 on. Unfortunately that does not make the '03-'04 owners feel any better.

·
The Doc
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I stopped by the dealer this AM and he told me that there is a kit that will replace the clips with better ones. He also said that he noticed that the new carrier they put in last year still had the old style clips in it, but there was nothing he could do about....said he knew I would be back! Also, I had heard somewhere that DC was telling its Service Depts to just remove the clips and be done with it. My guy had never heard of that. Was that an "official" position of DC, ot just one shops decision.
Thanks
The Doc..... :gr_patrio

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
I've read on here a while back too, that some dealers recommended to pull off the c-clips and be done. When mine c-clips were busted I had no sign of damage to the gears itself.

·
The Doc
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was told that if the clips were broken that the LSD wouldn't work. Is that true?

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
I am not to sure about that. All I know was when my truck got the gear fluid change (first time at 75K) the service tech noticed the clips were busted but no damage was found to gears itself.

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
My rear has NO clips anymore and I can still leave 2 very long black marks and I can still feel the inside tire breaking loose on evry turn.

Every tech I have spoken to has stated that Dodge training centers are in deed telling techs to just remove the broken clips if no other major damage has occured.....now keep in mind I havent talked to every tech in the world but the answer from all of them has been the same so far.

I am a firm believer in fix it right the first time so I am not going to say to just remove them BUT I will say removing is a temporary fix if you plan on a aftermarket differential unit such as a Auburn or Detroit inthe future.

AND please for gods sake dont remove the axle retaining clips because you think thats what clips you think people are talking about.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
dr.porsche said:
I was told that if the clips were broken that the LSD wouldn't work. Is that true?
I had broken clips at my 30,000 mile service and never felt a difference. For all I know, I could have broken clips again. But when they pulled the cover off, they told me there was no damage to the gears. The Tech told me they had a "fix" from DCX for it. I am not sure what it was. But he said the broken clips was a common problem, but once they used the "fix" he didn't see anyone come back. He could have been blowsing smoke up my a$$, but he deals with this stuff everyday - I don't.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.