DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm all of 5'3", 115 lbs soaking wet and managed to break one of the two 10mm bolts that attach the bracket to the throttle body. I've just looked at so many different types of broken screw extractors -- from "Vampliers" to "QuikCenter" and everything in between -- that my eyes are crossing. Does anyone have a preference?

I also ran into a 13mm bolt on the thermostat housing that won't go all the way in. The problem there is thread-tapping. I have no idea how to figure out what size Heli Coil kit to get (or whatever other brand may be better). Maybe something that doesn't require a cordless drill, since there's "oh-so-much room" to work under the hood of this [profanity].

And, with both of the above problems, I'm assuming I'll need metric fine thread, but please correct me if I'm wrong?

Obviously, I'm new at this, as I no longer have auto repair help or the money to have the work done. So please don't laugh if I'm using all the wrong terminology. Just correct me, bc I really need to learn. This 1999 Caravan is the only transportation I have and, until somebody decides it's "OK" to hire a 53-y/o, I'm stuck with it.

I also have an 18-y/o son who will be starting college in either Summer or Fall semester, and he's new to all of this, too. In other words, after watching God knows how many hours of YouTube videos to repair all the leaks -- from the valve cover gaskets down to the lower manifold (valley) gasket, and having damn near finished putting it all back together (with Murphy's Law stopping me at every turn), I've reached a point of desperation. If I lived near a bus route, I'd scrap it, but I can't. So, please, any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
--Michele

P.S. Sorry for the diatribe. I'm simply at wits' end here, and my very expensive psychology degree is not worth the paper it's printed on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
13mm Bolt that won't go in all the way

If the 13mm goes in a decent way in, try a shorter 13mm or cut that one down a bit to get it to tighten. Just don't go crazy and over tighten it. Should work.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Most screw extractors work the same way - you have to drill a small hole in the end of the bolt, then screw in the extractor. By turning the extractor into the screw the screw (theoretically) backs out. But its been my experience that if its in there tight enough to break off, its probably cross-threaded and an extractor probably wont get it out. Before you try it, give it a squirt of a REALLY GOOD penetrating fluid. I prefer PB, the stuff is absolutely AMAZING. Let it soak for a while (overnite isn't too long).

Good Luck.

BTW, as to being hired at 53, I'm 59 and have been looking for a (real, Full time) job for 2 years. Have you tried going down to the local Wally World? They are always hiring greeters, stockers and cashiers, especially if its a 24-hr location. It may only be PT, but, hey, a job is a job.

Again, Good Luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the replies...

Thanks for the replies. I got the 13mm in using coconut oil. Go figure.

As for the broken 10mm. It's still stuck in there. I thought there was a bit sticking out that I could grip with Vampliers, but there isn't. There's no room to get a drill in there, and I refuse to tear the damn engine down *again* just for that. It hasn't moved and the bolt next to it is holding tight, so I'm leaving it as is -- unless or until it becomes a problem.

I'm having trouble logging in as MAMiller, so if this gets posted as "Chele", it's still me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts