DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
My coinholder adds 15 HP!
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My windows are tinted pretty dark and at night when i'm backing up it's kind of hard to see. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make the back up lights brighter?

·
AndIHopeYouLikeRamminToo!
1,438 Posts
If you have a hitch, they make a set of lights that go on it. I think stylinconcepts sells it.

·
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks freakshow, you were right they have them on stylinconcepts .

·
AndIHopeYouLikeRamminToo!
1,438 Posts
I don't know if that's what you're looking for but that's all I've seen other than getting a pair of aftermarket fog lights and hanging them from the bumper.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
These work great. I can now see through 2 layers to tinted glass. Total cost of mod less than $35...lights, relay, wiring... 55w driving lights from WalMart

Attachments

·
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DonRam I sent you a PM to get the details on the home-mod.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
lucky8926 said:
Hope my PM is understandable. I also noticed PIAA sells a light kit specifically for this application. Kinda pricy at $140, but I'm sure higher quality than my $30 walmart specials. However they do what I needed them to do and don't look too bad. Below is a link to the PIAAs if you're interested

http://www.truckcustomizers.com/products/-HM/K4PIA269.8A.html

·
Registered
213 Posts
here are mine, 55w $25 at Advanced auto. Ran the wire down the frame up through the parking brake gromet under the driver's side. Ran a switch un der the dash and grounded them on the frame in the rear. I'm going to change the mounting location though b/c they sit a little low. I can see me going up an incline and ripping them right off.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I saw brighter LED replacement backup bulbs---somewhere?
They looked like a series of LED's in a circle and were supposedly brighter...
http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm

Edit---> Cancel that---reading thru their site it appears they arnt actually BRIGHTER---I emailed them for advice anyway...

Halogen might be an answer, I notice there are 50w available

·
Registered
32,955 Posts
I can't remember where I saw them, but you can buy 55 watt replacement bulbs for your stock back up lights!

·
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
55 watt replacement bulbs!! That sounds like what I want, less work. What would happen if I got some auxilary lights and spliced them right into the current back up light wires?
Donram what is the relay for? (bear with me, i'm not real good with electrical stuff)

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
lucky,

They use relays to handle the higher amperage that more wattage draws. Your backup lights come on when you shift into reverse, the wiring in the steering wheel or wherever they are are very small wires. They use the small wires (small wires can only handle a little amperage or they get hot and melt/burn) to turn on the relay, then the relay has larger wires to handle the higher current to the bulbs.

There are a bunch of relays in your truck already for lights, horn, etc.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I considered the replacement bulbs, but the factory reflector is kind of small, and I had concerns about the wiring handling the extra current. I also wasn't sure about the tail light lense handling the extra heat from the bulb. It's probably a needless concern since the light are only on for short durations. I needed more light since my rear window of the truck and the rear window of the cap are both tinted pretty dark. kenihemi is right the wire for the backup lights look to be about 18 gage. I ran 12 gage to the relay from the battery to power the lights and used the backup light wire to control the relay. A relay is just an electrically controlled switch. When the backup light wire gets power, it closes a contact so the main wire from the battery can power the lights.

·
New Vision
1,199 Posts
lucky8926 said:
I'm doing the same since I'm not the brightest bulb in the socket...

·
Registered
246 Posts
I am curious, what if you want to install some brighter back up lights, but do not like the ones that connect to the receiver hitch. I sometimes tow and it is not possable to use the receiver for lights. Also I do not want some big light hanging down below the bumper. I do not mind adding lights below the bumper, but I would like something small that put out a lot of light.

Any Ideas?

·
Registered
11 Posts
KC Highlites makes a good set of lights that hang below the bumper. They are about an 1 1/2 to 2 inches big but they put out about 75 watts of power. They hook into your back-up lights with a relay then you just need a power source to hook a fuse to. You can mount them anywhere on the bumber so they will not interfere with your exhaust or your towing. they are available from JC Whitney.

:VHOT:

·
Registered
592 Posts
I put inthe brighter bulbs. They helped some but not enough. The white Knight set up looks good or a pair of lights from the bumper will give better light. I don't think the bulbs alone cut it.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.