DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chrysler won't tell me what brand of paint the were using in 04.
Inferno Red Tinted Pearl Coat Paint.
Wanted to know to avoid mis match if only need to repaint a part.
Mini van assembled at the Windsor Ontario Canada plant.

Matching Color & Hues Easier With the Correct Manufacturer's Brand of Paint.

·
Autobody & Paint
225 Posts
Freebie-1 said:
Chrysler won't tell me what brand of paint the were using in 04.
Inferno Red Tinted Pearl Coat Paint.
Wanted to know to avoid mis match if only need to repaint a part.
Mini van assembled at the Windsor Ontario Canada plant.

Matching Color & Hues Easier With the Correct Manufacturer's Brand of Paint.
It really does not matter if you have the correct manufacture and code of paint. Their are too many factors that make paint colors off from your original color. I think their is 5 variants to your color with PPG paint. That is what we use at my job. If none of the variants match right to the original, thats when tinting comes into play. Are you doing the work or another body shop? Also if you do find out what paints they use it is highly unlikely that the paint will match what you have. It also all depends on which person is mixing your paint. Just a slight overpour or underpour makes or breaks the color. Even if mixed correctly it still can be off.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Bluer101

May I say this :So Sorry to Differ

1979 Olds Cutlass Factory Painted with Dupont - Perfect color Match 5 Years Later.

1977 Olds Cutlass Factory Painted With R & M Paint - Perfect color Match.
First tried to paint the hood & fender on my 77 Cutlass with other than the R & M paint , would not match Dupont-Dissler-Etc . too blue -too green - front view - side view too purple in different light. Tinted my self silly.Wasted $100 of paint.

Called GM in Detroit -Answer R & M paint , WOW the right shade of blue/ green hue -mached the rest of of the origional paint perfectly.

Using the correct Manufacture's brand of paint is a lot eaiser , but some people still like to play mad chemist.

An the 79 Cutlass had to be completely repainted for Free after the body shop used their Computer Match Paint instead of the Dupont Paint I gave them .
Their Computer Match Brown Paint lacked luster to say the least.

·
Autobody & Paint
225 Posts
OK, what ever you want to do. Its funny how brand new paint will match a car that has been out in the sun and elements would match without blending or tinting the color. Granted if you were going to paint the whole car, then factory used paint would be fine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Bluer101
All I am saying it is less involved and easier to matching Color & Hues using the original Manufacturer's Brand of Paint. As you said " I think their is 5 variants to your color with PPG paint ". Plus the Various tinting colors are not always available.
Using the Factory Brand Paint , you may only have to compensated for weathering , as I am sure you agree requires less hassel then tinting for the different Hues in various lighting conditions due to the difference in Paint Manufacturer's tinting formulas.

·
Autobody & Paint
225 Posts
Sure, but that is not possible when trying to run a business. We cannot order the paint from each manufacture to be efficient. Maybe thats fine for people that want to do it themself, but is not possible in the real world of autobody.
Oh, by the way your color you are looking for is a tri-stage color also. Base coat, pearl coat, clear coat.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Bluer101

I have to agree with you as to it's not profitable to always get and use Factory paints.
But as you seem to be in that business I am sure if one of your customer requested Factory paint you would try to do it.

Thanks for the infor as the requirement of a special base coat , knew about the Pearl Coat & Clear Coat but not the need for a special base coat.
Thanks Again.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
PPG paint is used at Windsor Assembly

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ram3500Dually

I assume your speaking from a knowledgeable level with confidence.
PPG is more like the answer I was looking for.

What is so secret about the brand of paint used by DC anyway.

I am sure PPG would like people to know.

The R&M Paint Rep was happy to help me get a exact color match on my GM 77 Olds Cutlass,while all the time Dupont kept telling me GM only uses their Paints.

Thanks

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
I drive truck for DCX out of the Windsor Terminal and have picked up paint many times at the PPG warehouse on Marentette Ave.

·
Autobody & Paint
225 Posts
If DC uses PPG thats what we use for our paint system. Your factory paint code is either PEL or WEL and the PPG code is 5469 for the base and 5470 for the pearl coat. Then you need a clear coat applied. Also as I mentioned above there is variants. There is a prime and 3 other variants. So now you are still up against the color matching for the right variant.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Forgive me for butting in, but you guys seem very knowledgable about paint. I'm thinking of painting my aftermarket hood myself. (I've done whole motorcyles before, but they don't require a color match to old panels.)

My Brand new 2005 Dodge Magnum uses code PRH. Where can I find out more about this paint? Is it PPG or DuPont? Is it a tri-coat, or just a color and clear? Am I getting in over my head?

Boston Bob

·
Autobody & Paint
225 Posts
bobschm said:
Forgive me for butting in, but you guys seem very knowledgable about paint. I'm thinking of painting my aftermarket hood myself. (I've done whole motorcyles before, but they don't require a color match to old panels.)

My Brand new 2005 Dodge Magnum uses code PRH. Where can I find out more about this paint? Is it PPG or DuPont? Is it a tri-coat, or just a color and clear? Am I getting in over my head?

Boston Bob
I can check out the code on Monday. Painting an whole car is on thing, but just the hood is another story. You may need to blend the fenders also.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks. I'm hoping that the car is new enough so the paint matches without blending. I figure if it looks bad, I can always strip it and hand it over to a body shop. Blending this metallic may be beyond my ability.

"A man's gotta know his limitations." - Inspector Harry Callahan

Boston Bob

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Unless your paint mixing guy is inept you shouldn't have to blend the fenders on a new vehicle if you are painting the hood as long as you buy the same brand of paint.

·
Autobody & Paint
225 Posts
PRH-Blaze Red Crystal
PPG # 5930
There is only 1 prime color, no variants.

Be carefull if you give the PRH code to an auto paint store. The code PRH is also PPG # 909516, which is only for the Chrysler Crossfire. Same color name too. The mix is different.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.