DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dose the shortshoe go to the front or rear ? my book says shortshoe to rear but picture shoes it at front,

·
Registered
570 Posts
I haven't done a drum brake job in quite some time, the best way to do it is one side at a time that way you can use the opposite side as a refernce.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea thats the way i do it, but whoever done it last put both shortshoes on one side, and both longones on the other,i had to get new drums hardware kit it's all shot,i don't won't to mess the new stuff up,

·
Troubleshooter
1,516 Posts
If I were a bettin' man, since less braking is required by the rear and most of it is upfront, I would bet the shorts go to the back

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks i put the short front, bothsides no noise hope it's right, i went to the junkyard today looked at 4 trucks 2 had short to front,2 had short to rear, i'm thinking how hard is this gonna be? so i pulled the wheel on the wifes 2000 ram and the short shoe was to the front, my chilton manual also says shortshoe to the rear,guess there's alot of rearbrakes on wrong,won't it not work right wrong?

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
The short shoe should be on the front of both sides, longer shoe to the rear. The logic behind this is the front shoe is the secondary shoe and tranfers the force caused by friction to the primary shoe at the rear... This puts more load on the rear shoe than the front when stopping and wears the front shoe more. By putting a longer pad on the3 front it balances the wear between the front and rear shoes.

·
Registered
510 Posts
The front shoe is the primary, and it has the shorter lining. The rear shoe is the secondary, and has the longer lining. As for the picture being wrong, does it indicate where the front is? My Dodge manual has pics for both sides, and depending which side you look at, the short shoe looks to be at the rear. Remember, the adjuster cable is always at the rear, so use that as a reference. Sorry about the picture quality. The arrow indicates front of vehicle.

Attachments

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
I do recoginize these pictures. This is a self adjusting brake.
The location of the primary and secondary shoe is a carry over from earlier brakes that weren't self-adjusting. Brakes that didn't self adjust didn't have the anchor above the wheel cylinder and had an adjusting mechanism that was fixed to the lower part of the back-plate.... This reverses the position of the primary and secondary shoes. They were called leading and trailing shoes by most manufactures, until self adjustment came to be the standard.
It's possible that pickups and vans had the short shoe in opposite locations to help prevent premature lockup... A van has a little more weight on the rear wheels when unloaded.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.