DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the OEM brakes aren't too bad, but does anyone have any recomendations for other brands?
I have been looking at the Hawk Super Duty... have them on our Charger R/T (the HPS) - with cross drilled and slotted rotors. I do a fair bit of towing, and living in BC you can't go anywhere without going over mountain passes...

·
..::MOOSE::..
1,580 Posts
subscribed.... I need brakes soon and would like an upgrade.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Those are nice - a bit pricey, but I would imagine worth it. Dang you guys with all these goodies. Making me want to buy more stuff :D

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Read the last line of my sig that is showing on-screen !!! LOL

·
Registered
334 Posts
lol - my problem is I'm building a stretched CJ7 on 38.5 swampers, so that is sucking up most of my mod money, for now. Right now trying to convince the wife we need the 425hp crate motor instead of a 380hp one.

·
Registered
153 Posts
lol - my problem is I'm building a stretched CJ7 on 38.5 swampers, so that is sucking up most of my mod money, for now. Right now trying to convince the wife we need the 425hp crate motor instead of a 380hp one.
:2444_drooling:

I've got a CJ7 too. You post on any Jeep forums? Would be interested to see this build. Shoot me a PM and let me know. Don't want to take this off topic.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Powerslot Rotors with Hawke pads. Got 'em on a couple of super dutys, will be putting on PW when the time comes.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought that going to slotted or cross drilled may cause some problems while off roading and rocks/mud etc. getting stuck in the drilled or slotted portions of the rotors|? I have R1 Concepts on the car... for the PW they only about $260/pair for the premium rotors (Cross Drilled/Slotted/ or both).

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
From what I've read, when you go the cross drilled/slotted route, it is a real good idea to have them cryo'ed to stop the flaking/cracking that some say is common with them. I tow at max load & have NEVER been impressed with the PW brakes even when new. I need all the stopping power I can get. I may not race but towing also puts some big demads on brakes.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Slotted or Drilled...

I say no to drilled, the idea of mud in them & uneven cooling issues created... no thanks. slots I'd be fine with~ I'm totally for those yellow stuff pads. Stainless brake lines would help too (cost prohibative maybe?)! I'm about due for Brakes 35k now. MY PW is at the "stealership" for plugs & that TSB 21-07-06 for the trans. today! Only 400+ for both (190 plugs, 165 trans + tx):ugh:rck::gr_patrio So there checking wear on the pads... more later :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
What's the TSB on the tranny?

·
Registered
101 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Have the ebc's yellow stuff with slotted rotors. Love em. Rocks don't get stuck between rotor and shield anymore. Double stopping power. I can piss off the abs system on the highway. 20k and no percieveable wear on pads or rotors.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I have EBC Slotted/Dimpled Rotors and Performance Friction Carbon Metallic Pads on the front, rears are stock.

This is an excellent combo, they are quieter than stock, with improved stopping power, run cooler, don't slick-up easy when wet or muddy.

After about 8k miles no complaints.

I did have the EBC Greenstuff 7000 pads but they squeaked like crazy, even well after the break-in period and drove me nuts, so out they went.

[Performance Friction]
http://www.performancefriction.com/pages/pad_type.htm

[EBC Slotted/Dimpled]
http://www.ebcbrakes.com/automotive/ebc_3gd_sport_rotors/ebc_3gd_sport_rotors.shtml

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Nice upgrade, do you recall how much you paid for the pads and rotors?
I think paid $230 for the rotors and $80 for the pads and put them on myself.

I usually get the part number from the vendors website and then search on google -> select the Shopping link at the top, then sort the search results by price, lowest to highest, and you can find some good online deals.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I installed the EBC Greenstuff 7000s with the OEM rotors and am very satisfied with them. They are a definite improvement over OEM. If I was replacing the rotors with dimpled/slotted rotors I would have considered the Yellowstuff, but most of the reviews indicate the Yellowstuff are a bit much for OEM rotors.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts