DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is there a price difference on checking brakes on a 4x4 vs a 4x2?

Also, anybody know what a good price range is for getting the brakes on my truck looked at? I have an '08 1500 4x4 w/ a hemi. My dealer is charging me $330 per axle, but I don't know if that's too much. That includes machining the rotors and new brake pads.

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
for that price per axle they better be replacing the pads, turning the rotors, and giving you a hooker to keep you entertained while they do it.

If it is just that to inspect them I would be going somewhere else.
The pads and rotors are the same for both 2 and 4 wheel drives. There is no difference between doing brakes on one or the other unless you have some huge ass tires for them to deal with. You could go to almost any autoparts store and buy all four rotors as well as front and rear pads for less than what they want for 1 axle.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Thats how I learned how to do it myself. Thier price was SO outragious, that I said drop it down, I will drive to the parts store, but a repair manual, the parts & the tools & do it myself. That was in 1988. Been doing it myself ever since.

·
Respected Member
3,591 Posts
I did all 4 of my brakes for less than $110.00!
:YO: my pads are still about 50% at 42k, those little sand bumps out there must be hard on those brakes. ;)

I plan on upgrading my entire braking system to EBC yellow stuff and drill/slotted rotors when time comes and doing THAT is still cheaper than what the stealership quoted you. :ugh

Breaks are pretty simple aslong as you dont crack a line or pop a hose. you need a set or regular tools(rachets, sockets, wrenchs, etc...), a large C-clamp, and a long flathead screwdriver to lightly pry with. and its simple.

oh, and a small block of wood or metal to use with the C-clamp to push back the brake piston in the caliper.

Most of the time when you get to the point of changing pads at over 80k miles and the rotors have a small warp to them its just better to replace them because its alot harder to turn them back into specs.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I just did the rears, bought brake best ceramic pads for 60.00 and about 65.00 rotors turned and pad install, so 125.00 per axle but thats here in mexico where labor is cheaper lol

·
Chad Loves His Hemi
447 Posts
Yeah thats why I do ALL my own brake work.
Just a quick story: about 6 years ago my mother wanted me to change the brakes on her 00' Cavalier before she moved out of town. I went and got a couple quotes:
Midas: $325-370
GM Dealership: $700-750
Like most others, I decided to fiqure out how to do it myself. I got New pads/rotors for $116
Even though Brakes are one of those things you NEED, they are one of the easiest thing to change (Other than tires/oil) IMO

·
Skelton Krew
2017 short bed hemi tradesmen
862 Posts
DIY for that price you can get some really nice pads and brand new rotors and hell paint your calipers while your at it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.