DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 98 grand caravan.i replaced the front breaks today.why is the back shoes on both sides were wore down more on the one end then the other end(top or bottom not sure which).why?on the driver side was wore down more than the right side.why?thanks

·
Registered
737 Posts
The shoes are spread at the top by the wheel cylinder pistons, so the friction material at the top of the shoe gets applied first--in theory. But the self adjusters are supposed to keep moving the middle of the shoe out to compensate. If the adjusters get gunky, you'll get that uneven wear.

The passenger side brakes usually wear faster than the driver's side because that's where the road crown is steepest. If the driver's side is wearing faster on your vehicle, then I would suspect you've got sticky caliper pins or corrosion on the sliding portion of the pads or abutment (the cast iron portion that the pads rest on)

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the caliper pins is that the bolts or what the bolts goes though or something else.i did not see any rust on them.next time can i just sand them lightly?also it is using some brake fluid(not much)i have add some about a month or so.i had the master cylinder replaced in 08/08.it just started using the fluid.is it ok to take the cap off and change the brakes that way and not bleed them.i have done that and have been told that other people do this.they said it is ok.the old master cylinder had something in there blocking the fluid,is it b/c of the way i change the brakes thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.