DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
If he put new pads on and didnt grease up the slides, he didnt clean them either. Its a good habit to get into, clean off the rust and lube it all up.

Remember kids, lubrication makes the world go around... At least that's the motto at my garage.

·
RAM IT!!!
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
If he put new pads on and didnt grease up the slides, he didnt clean them either. Its a good habit to get into, clean off the rust and lube it all up.

Remember kids, lubrication makes the world go around... At least that's the motto at my garage.
:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny
LOL

·
RAM IT!!!
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
organic pads are notorious for wet weather probs other pads not so much, though possible. was it wet out?

·
RAM IT!!!
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Wasn't wet at all. Dry and sunny 70 degree day.

·
Mopar or no Car
331 Posts
Could it be the master cylinder

·
RAM IT!!!
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I took it in today. Apparently it was the brake drums. The pad compound wasn't right for my "application" or something of the sort. Anyways, I shelled out another $65 to have my rear brakes worked on. Weirdness.

·
Ram Pwnage
602 Posts
Not the right compound? It's a freakin brake shoe, there's nothing that elaborate in that. Did they replace the rear shoes when they did the front pads, or just turn the drums and leave the old shoes?

·
Registered
984 Posts
You should do your own brakes they'r really easy. Takes about 2 hours to do all 4 wheels, no including the time waiting for the drums and rotors to be turned/trued.

Clean up any contact point where the caliper slides on the pins that hold it to the spindle. On newer trucks this is a two piece design. Yours has the older setup where the calipers bolted directly to the spindle, newer trucks have a brace that bolts to the spindle, then the caliper drops down into that brace, and the slides it mounts to bolt to the brace.

Use Wagner Thermo-Quiet pads. Period. Best for the money. I've tried alot of brake pads, none come close. A friend told me about these and I've never gone back to any other. Just did my In-Law's car a couple months ago, told him to get the Thermo-Quiets. He came with O'Screwme's house brand in his hands. I said, you'll be sorry! He said they'd be fine the others were too expensive. About a week later he comes back bitching that the brakes squeal and dont grab well. I called O'Screwme's to see about returning them to get the Thermo Quiets, they said bring em down we'll refund these and you can get the Thermo Quiets. I put the new ones on, put it all back together, a few days he calls back and says the car has never stopped that good since he had it new lol.

·
Mopar or no Car
331 Posts
I know how to do Drum brakes but I haven't done disc brakes

·
RAM IT!!!
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Pwnage I think all they did was turn the drums. I know the redid the front brakes. Ramthis I think I just might do them next time around. I just copy pasted that whole thing and I printed it off. I think I'm done with that shop if I can do it right. They did change the compound, and it made a lot of difference.

·
RAM IT!!!
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yup, all the guy told me was that they only replaced the pads. Nothing else. I'm going to try and put new pads on the 90 over Easter break. This might be interesting...........o_O

·
Don't Fear the Reaper
1,638 Posts
Best way to do drums is, One at a time. NEVER take both apart at the same time. You will need to go back and look at the other side for comparison. Either that or take a picture. I tend to forget how things go so I look at the other side as I go along and make sure I made no mistakes. It's easier the more often you do them, but I don't do drums that often any more.

·
RAM IT!!!
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Best way to do drums is, One at a time. NEVER take both apart at the same time. You will need to go back and look at the other side for comparison. Either that or take a picture. I tend to forget how things go so I look at the other side as I go along and make sure I made no mistakes. It's easier the more often you do them, but I don't do drums that often any more.
Dude you have NO idea. :ugh:ugh:ugh I done goofed today. I did the exact opposite. Forgot how to put them back together! Dammit. Had to look up some pics on the internet. :ugh:ugh:ugh But, in the end I did get the job done. Stops good now!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.