DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The brake peddle on my 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 has started to get about 1/4” travel in it. It’s enough to turn on the brake lights and drain the battery. I’ve had to use a small dowel to hold the peddle up when it’s parked to prevent the brake lights from coming on. Any one else have this issue before?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey I personally haven’t but My buddy has a 97 1500 4x4 and he simply bled out the fluid until it was completely empty picked up the pedal all the way as much as it went, and filled up with new fluid and pumped it about 5 times and it was fine. Hope this helped you out any.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
The brakelight switch is set upon initial installation and can't be re-adjusted according to the '01 FSM.
You might install a spring from the hardware store to hold it up.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Another item, if you put your foot on the brake pedal, lightly apply pressure and the pedal slowly goes to the floor, the master cylinder needs replacing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So for the time being I’m just using a stick to hold up the peddle. And I’ve added a little felt foot to the sensor. It seems to do the trick until I can get to the master brake cylinder.

Are they hard to replace? I’m pretty mechanically inclined. But I’m no mechanic. I’d like to do it myself. It’s the original part on the truck too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.