Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok maybe I am nuts.

Tell me if this is normal.

When I apply pressure on the break pedal it seems soft. I let off and reapplie and the pedal applies a lot sooner and has more pressure.

My Honda Pilot doesn't do this, nor do my 3 other cars.

Is this a dodge thing? Is this a issue? Am I crazy....

·
Registered
19 Posts
I experience the exact same condition when I apply the brakes, so you are not crazy!!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool want to make sure I was not losing my mind.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yep, mine too. What the heck is that about? I thought I was feeling it do that........:crazy:

·
LU229
149 Posts
Yup, mine does it too, i pump the pedal and the pedal is alot more firm and the pedal is higher, the brakes work ALOT better after pumping the pedal. I`m not sure this is a good idea to have brakes like this... what if you needed to do a panic stop...?!?!?! Does dodge expect their customers to pump the pedal before a panic stop...???? If so, thats not kool at all. I would think that would become a liability issue.

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Brake fluid soaks up water. If the water in the system get too hot, you have air. Now think of how many times you've stepped on the brakes and the pressure that's in the brake lines. All of the rubber brake lines get softer over time and it takes more brake fluid because the rubber is moving and expanding more than it did when the truck was new. And then you have the seals in the master cylinder and at the wheels; they get harder and do not hold the pressure as well as they did years ago when they were new.

:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Okay, I'd buy that if my truck was older. Its a 2011 with 6,000 miles on it..........

·
LU229
149 Posts
Okay, I'd buy that if my truck was older. Its a 2011 with 6,000 miles on it..........
I agree, mine has sucked since day one, from the day i bought it brand new.
I`ve never been happy with the brakes on this truck since i bought it.
My personal opinion, i just hope i dont have to stop quick, cause its not gonna happen.
Chevy ford & toyblowta isnt much better. They suck as well, but dodge trucks seems to be worse.
I`ve flushed & bled the entire system, but no difference.
I blame it on an inferior design.

·
LU229
149 Posts
Brake fluid soaks up water. If the water in the system get too hot, you have air. Now think of how many times you've stepped on the brakes and the pressure that's in the brake lines. All of the rubber brake lines get softer over time and it takes more brake fluid because the rubber is moving and expanding more than it did when the truck was new. And then you have the seals in the master cylinder and at the wheels; they get harder and do not hold the pressure as well as they did years ago when they were new.

I`m not trying to be an azzhole here, but i totally disagree with you, especially when you say "and do not hold pressure" & "rubber brake lines"
I`m sure you mean`t brake "HOSE`S", and they get harder over time, NOT softer. Further more, if the system isnt holding pressure, then one of two things is happening... you either have a leak externally, or the pressure is bleeding off internally. Either one of those will cause a brake pedal to go completely to the floor. Not the case here with these trucks. Its just an inferior designed system. An upgraded master cylinder, brake pads will solve most of the problem, next would be heavier duty calipers. (larger pistons)

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
You can have small internal leaks and still have working brakes. I worked on one car that would stop just fine but while sitting at the light, the pedal would slowing go to the floor unless the driver keep the brakes pumped up. After rebuilding everything with new seals, the brakes work normally. And the brake hoses do get a little soft over time. That's why you have stainless steel covered brake lines; to keep them from expanding and causing a weaker braking action. Now if your talking about decades then yes, the brake hoses get rotted out, hard, and start cracking.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
All my vehicles do that. Its normal.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I will agree that all vehicles do this a little, but not this pronounced. My wife's 03 Durango doesn't do it nor the last three Dakotas I drove an average of 140,000 miles each. I did not notice this until a week or so ago either. Then this thead popped up on here and I realized someone else noticed it. Still love my Ram though.

A little reset of the peddle is normal when pumping but this is really noticable IMHO. :SPIN:

Happy Thanksgiving!
Dave

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Uhh sorry DNC you are wrong. my truck is a 2012 with 1500 miles on it.

This is not how it works. Both my 89, and 88 Conquest don't do this "And I have yet to replace the rubber lines, and I am 2nd owner on both and know all service records", and my wife's 07 Honda Pilot doesn't do this.

Sounds like there is a issue.

Song like a load of BS for a crap brake system.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Its the new and improved braking systems on these trucks and if you do a panic stop the brake will actually pump for you I remember reading about this somewhere, it kind of ties into the esp system and everything

·
LU229
149 Posts
Its the new and improved braking systems on these trucks and if you do a panic stop the brake will actually pump for you I remember reading about this somewhere, it kind of ties into the esp system and everything
Kinda sounds like you are describeing "anti-lock brakes", wheel locks up, pedal kicks back.
This isnt the case with what some of us are talkin about.
Some of us are having to pump up the pedal to get a good pedal and firmer brake feel.
After pumpin the pedal, the pedal also becomes higher. This is NOT normal, or good...!

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Uhh sorry DNC you are wrong. my truck is a 2012 with 1500 miles on it.

This is not how it works. Both my 89, and 88 Conquest don't do this "And I have yet to replace the rubber lines, and I am 2nd owner on both and know all service records", and my wife's 07 Honda Pilot doesn't do this.

Sounds like there is a issue.

Song like a load of BS for a crap brake system.
WOW! Sounds like you have it all figure out and don't need any more help.

:) ... have a nice weekend

·
Try harder
13,236 Posts
Mine has done the same thing from day one with less than 1k miles on it...it's not "normal" for vehicles but seems to be the norm for these trucks.

However, I have had to do two panic stops in the last week. One when a Honda Civic decided to go from the far left lane of the interstate across three lanes to catch the same exit I was taking. I slammed on the brakes and the truck performed flawlessly, despite my even heavier than normal 22s. I don't like the feel of it, but during a panic stop it never left me hanging.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Its normal in lots of vehicles. NPF

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Mine has done the same thing from day one with less than 1k miles on it...it's not "normal" for vehicles but seems to be the norm for these trucks.

However, I have had to do two panic stops in the last week. One when a Honda Civic decided to go from the far left lane of the interstate across three lanes to catch the same exit I was taking. I slammed on the brakes and the truck performed flawlessly, despite my even heavier than normal 22s. I don't like the feel of it, but during a panic stop it never left me hanging.
So the brakes on some the newer trucks are like the POS system on the GM luxurily models? It must be just the half-ton 2WD trucks because the 4x4 and HD models I've driven all have tight petals. When you did the panic-stop did the increased fluid pressure during the stop translate to firmer petal? Buick's will have a soft pedal but when you stand on petal, it's hard as rock. While some Caddies, Mercedes, and Rolls Royce all feel like you just stepped bare-foot in a warm-one out in the pasture no matter how hard you stand on it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
WOW! Sounds like you have it all figure out and don't need any more help.

:) ... have a nice weekend
Never said I had it figured out but air, or water in a line is not the answer. this is to common as it seems to be something like this.

As you said as the truck get older. Mine is just a month old so your post would be incorrect for my truck. Not trying to sound like a A**hole just starting what you posted and what I have are not the same.

This would be my first full size truck since my Ram Charger and I can't compare brakes to it since that thing was a tank to try and stop.

Also this is my first American brand car in a long time. So far I can say this is the only really issue, and I still love this truck very much.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.