DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i went to put on my powerslot rotor and hawk pad setup yesterday and i the first wheel i started on had a BIG problem....the big 10.9 grade bolts that hold the whole caliper and caliper frame together were cross threaded....how in the hell anyone can torque a bolt of that magnitude to that point i have no idea but i had to get 4 (just in case) shipped to me today....the caliper was also stripped out so i had to buy a new caliper as well....the dodge dealer whom i bought the bolts from (5 dollars a piece if anyone needs em) told me that the bolt has had 4 revisions and remakes since they started using the 2 piston system and this is not an unusual thing....the new bolts i ordered were wrong so i got one more day without the truck but the newer bolts sport a 12 point head and a higher grade...so if anyone is doing brakes be careful on the big bolts.....

·
Coolest Ram Club in FL
4,295 Posts
am man...sorry to hear.....how did they cross thread that bolt is the question...they probably used air tools to tighten it up instead of tightening by hand

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats my guess but oh well shit happens it didnt really bother me....even with the hefty price tag of the caliper....dunno love the truck too much to hate it

·
Coolest Ram Club in FL
4,295 Posts
360cubicInches said:
.dunno love the truck too much to hate it
Ya i know exactly how you feel!!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problems but let us know how she stops when you're done!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well its good and bad....i ended up getting the wrong bolts AGAIN so i just went to the local ace hardware and they matched the grade and bolt i needed so i did that....bolted up the new caliper and bled the brakes a few times and took off....its still really spungy and im a little confused....it doesnt seem to drag too bad seeing as i got the newer thick pads on....its getting a little better the more i drive it but i still havent gained back the pedal i used to have....even if i had air in the one caliper i dont think it would throw off the whole brake system like that....i know you gotta get some miles on the new stuff so maybe i am just being pesimistic who knows but big red is rolling again and thats all im concerned with for now....if the problem continues i will just stuff my ego in my pocket and go pay someone to do the job....but i will keep you all posted....if anyone has the same problem dont hesitate to get with me on the deal i can give you all the part numbers and prices on everything

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
get a hand bleeder

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
whats that?

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
instead of having to pump the brakes......have someone hold the pedal and then go under and unscrew the break bleeding screw you have a pump that attatches directly to the master cylinder and does a DAMN good job as sucking all the air out.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you think air is my problem? if thats the case i will definately look into it....i bled the brakes pretty well but i did leave the caliper brake line unhooked overnight....but i have no idea other than that

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I have done my brakes on 3 different occasions with no issues with the the caliper bolts.

·
Hemi 4x4/Challenger T/A
1,485 Posts
TREP R/T said:
I have done my brakes on 3 different occasions with no issues with the the caliper bolts.
Same here. Never have had to take the caliper hose loose in doing so.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the caliper frame that the big bolts ran into was stripped out...so i had to replace the caliper....i have got it all straightened out now but the brakes are still spongy....the stopping is ALOT better but it takes more peddle than is used to which leads me to think i STILL have more air in there somewhere....but i will keep you posted...i am gonna try to get it bled one more time and possibly a flush and refill of the system...hell i might even put some stainless still braided lines on it....but i will keep you fellas posted

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i figured out that the gravity bleed method is the best for my situation and have been fooling with it every chance i got today...i have removed quite a bit of air this way and tomorrow hope to finish it all

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.