DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Chuck Blake
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this truck new and the brakes have always sucked. So I have been doing some reading and decided to do something about the problem. I purchased new rotors 2500 calipers and new pads. Also changed wheel cylinders in the rear for one ton. What a huge difference. Last week I was towing a utility trailer with a four wheeler and returning home from a hunting trip when it pushed me almost through a stoplight. (wake up call) All I want to say is thanks for all the ideas for brake upgrades. This site is a tremendous help.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
so do you still have the prob, maybe i just dont understand?

·
Chuck Blake
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah Spun, what a tremendous difference. By the way I just went with over the counter Advance rotors and pads. I was in a hurry and EBC and Hawk would have to be ordered in my area. Next time I'll do them, but with upgrades in calipers & pads to 3/4 ton and one ton wheel cylinders it made a big difference for not a lot of money. Would recommend anyone with a 1500 do this.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I just did the one ton wheel cylinders and went with the bigger of the two Chevy ones I believe 1 and 3/16 bore and now it stops on a dime what difference

·
Chuck Blake
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went with dodge 3500 and they are 1 1/16. With the difference mine made I can only imagine how yours feel at 1 3/16.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
whats the part number? been looking for that for a while?

·
Chuck Blake
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You want the chevy part number I presume. By the way spun I am sorry you are having problems with your rebuild. What"s going on with it now. Good news I hope.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
ya! news! intake is being planed down- flatened. jp double true roller is in. crank and custom assembly is being SPUN this time. compression ratio is getting calculated, they may deck the heads for more ratio. - or just go to .025 gaskets. i know there somethings i'm missing! long block assembly starts next week! YES!

·
Chuck Blake
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds great, I hope it works out this time. It sounds like they are going the extra mile. Probably a good thing.:worthy:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
man, i had to beg, lye cheat and steel for this one. i hope it turns out some real numbers for a long time.
SO, do you have that chebby part #

·
Registered
245 Posts
I just went to advanced and said look up at Chevy 3500 and used year model 2000 and it popped right up

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
Is there a diffrence in the 3/4 and 1 ton wheel cylenders?

·
Chuck Blake
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know about chebby, but on a dodge they are different.

·
Registered
245 Posts
On my factory ones they are 15/16 bore on a 1500. Chevy offers a 1 1/16 and a 1 3/16 not gonna lie but it was the best $24 I ever spent when I tested before and after it was like stopping in my gf's G35s and after I was done......even in the rain like ever says I still dont get wheel lock which was a side affect everyone warned

·
Chuck Blake
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now I wish I had gone with the 1 3/16, but like you I heard of lockups. I also rebuilt the front brakes but I did the rear wheel cylinders first and road tested before messing with the front. It made a huge difference. My truck has 140,000 and still has the original drums. It didn't have enough power to wear them out because I checked the adjustment regularly. They probably should have done a recall on these 1500 brakes.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
On my factory ones they are 15/16 bore on a 1500. Chevy offers a 1 1/16 and a 1 3/16 not gonna lie but it was the best $24 I ever spent when I tested before and after it was like stopping in my gf's G35s and after I was done......even in the rain like ever says I still dont get wheel lock which was a side affect everyone warned
ya! the wheel lock! i do notice the abs in the snow with the 1 1/16 cylinders. but soon the cam will be done and the booster characteristics and breaking power will change. see you got weight to your advantage. alot heavier.
first i'm going to 2500 calipers in the frt if that dont do it i'll chase down the 1 3/16ths cylinders for the back. if that dont do it, suppose i'll need a electric vac pump for the booster. its going to be a matter of mechanicaly balancing the breaking proportions. possibly trial and error.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My 98 1500 is the one I upgraded the brakes on and I tried like hell to get the rear to Lock but nothing the front locks every time though

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.