DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 1500 with 5,800 miles. I have a brake drone sound/ noise upon acceleration from a stop. Once the brakes are warm I experience this issue. It does not occur initially. Only when warmed up after a couple stops. When I accelerate at a normal rate the brakes will make a drone sound like the caliper is rubbing on the disc and then the noise fades away. It is not constant. I took it to the local dealer and they inspected the entire brake system and found no issue. They were able to repeat the sound but everything looks fine.

They said that the emergency brake pads on the rear discs may be rubbing on the rust from the disc and they said to clean the rust off the disc by slowly applying the emergency brake to bring the truck to a stop. This would eliminate the drone sound becasue it will clean the rust off the disc. There is rust in that area because the regular brake pads do not sweep this area when braking.

There is no TSB or other solution from Chrysler. This is the recommendation from the dealer.

Will this work? Has anyone experienced this issue? I had a 2002 1500 and never had this issue. So is it unique to the new model year?

Any advice will be appreciated.

·
C HEMI GO
1,739 Posts
Couldn't hurt to try. The only time I know of people previously experiencing brake noise while accelerating is when they are pushing both pedals at once.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I was skeptical about separate parking brake pads, but now that I look in the service manual, their suggestion seems logical. It looks like the rear disk brake rotor also has a drum built into it for the parking brake. The parking brake shoes only get used with the parking brake. I never use mine, so it probably is getting rusty. The manual says you have to pull the axle to get to the parking brake shoes. I guess occasional cleaning with brake cleaner is out of the question.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
hay donram you did not know that already? weird

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
2004dram said:
hay donram you did not know that already? weird
First vehicle I've seen like this, most use the main pads for the parking brake. I'm sure I'm not alone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was skeptical too and that's why I posted the thread. Well I'll try it and see if it works.

I always thought the main pads were also used as the emergency brake too.

Anyone else experience this issue?

Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I also had this issue and went to the dealer for repair. The dealer finally heard the noise and indentified it as the same thing you speak of. They promptly replaced both rear disc/drums and pads/shoes under warranty.

Good Luck

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Wow, learn something new every day... I too was not aware of the seperate pads / shoes for the E-brake...

Ineteresting... Looks like I will cleaning mine off as well this afternoon!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it's been a couple days and I have engaged the emergency brake slowly per the dealerships instructions in my work's parking lot. I did this several times over the past few days. The issue still exists! I still don't know why it does it when the brakes are warm nor do I fully understand how the emergency brake would be the root cause of the drone sound.

I know brake warranty is for 12K miles so I think I will make another call to the dealership and have them replace the emergency brake pads and drums as a dealership did for ffalasco.

I can not believe there is not a TSB for this issue. Maybe there are not enough complaints about the noise. It sure irritates me!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I called the dealership and they said they would not change out the emergency brake pads or drums because there was nothing wrong i.e nothing they observed was out of specification. However, the drone exists and therefore something is wrong. I said the noise is not normal and the guy replied that maybe it was. Obviously it isn't. I have never heard/ experienced this issue on any of the vehicles I have bought.

The dealership said they would call the Chrysler service rep and inquire about a possible fix. They simply won't replace parts that check good despite the noise. I'll give them a couple days before I call them back.

Will keep you posted.

Any others with this issue?

·
Registered
18 Posts
The noise was caused from severe rusting, that's is why they told you to apply the E brakes while driving this would clean off some minor rust. I was never told to try this. My dealer Friendly Dodge in Lapeer Mi. just replaced the parts after inspection gave me a loaner and it only took them about 5 hours.

·
Registered
214 Posts
2005 Ram Quad....Same thing started with me at 4k miles, dealer tried to clean off drums but noise came back the same day, Im scheduled to have them replace pads and drums next week. Funny thing is that after I installed my Dual out Flowmaster Delta 40 I cant even hear the rubbing anymore.

NJ Ram

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.