DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Prodigy brake controller and wireing harness for my 03 2500 HD. I cannot find the harness under the dash. I have the 6-7 pin trailer hook-up in the bumper. Has anyone hard-wired one of these in, or know where the plug is hidden under the dash?

Thanks,

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you have the tow package, you need to look for a BLUE four pin socket under the dash. It's visible from the floor looking up, next to the larger white connector on the left side. Mine was a little hard to reach due to the position of other wire bundles that were running over the top of it. The Prodigy should be a plug and play solution. The hardest part for me was finding a place to mount the controller.

--Mark

·
Registered
115 Posts
It can be difficult to find if you have never seen it before, and there is no one there to point it out to you. I was laying on my back all contorted and twisted up with the drivers seat pushed all the way back, trying to see up in the dash for a good five minutes or so before I found it. It was way up in there, tucked up behind a main wire bundle.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
I wonder if he found it. It can be a pain to find but it is there. And every year they seem to move it a bit :(

·
Dmentd_Dan
108 Posts
The steering column bundle ran right in front of mine but there is enough slack to move it to the side. BTW, my truck didn't come with the tow package. I think pretty much all the trucks come with this and it is part of the wire loom standard. The tow package, as far as I can tell, just gives you the 7 pin vs the 4 pin at the bumper, the hitch, and the pig tail for under the dash(put in the gove box at the factory). The connector is a large, oversized if you ask me, blue plug with 4 male connetors sticking out of its end.
Edit: Here are some pics.

Attachments

·
Technology Handyman
1,062 Posts
In the fords you need a pig tail to hook up the controler, do you need one in the Ram, If so where can I get one?

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
The dealer will have it if its not in your glove compartment.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Ya, mine was in the glove box on the new truck... But I bought the prodigy to Dodge pre-made pigtail for $10 at Camping World. I didn't want to deal with any wire splices on something so important... and besides, the pre-made one is $10. That's cheap

Here's the link on the Manufacturers site... and trust me, it says to '04... but it's the same through at least '06. Mine was an exact fit.

http://www.tekonsha.com/bch3020.html

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
The pigtails have been the same since 1998, maybe earlier. I put mine on my controller in 98 and haven't changed it since. Its went in my 2000, 2001, 2003 and now my 2005

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey guys, new guy here,
i have a 2005 ram 1500 4x4 and went looking for the plug, it is not there, i do not believe i have the towing package (bought it used) there was no prev. wiring or hitch. now what do i do? All i saw up the was a green conector.

·
Registered
660 Posts
ok i have a question.

my truck did not come with the tow package so i added the 7 pin and i have the blue wire for the brake controller not plugged into anything.

i went outside and verified that i have the connector there as shown in the picture (thanks for posting that i never would have know what i was to look for).

question is:

what do i do with the blue wire from the 7 pin connector i installed?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Not sure if I understand your question. Where is the loose blue wire that you're wondering about? In the cab or under the back bumper? Usually the blue wire is the brake control wire.

I wonder if this link helps. It has color coded diagrams on trailer hitch wiring.

http://www.rverscorner.com/wiring/7pole.html

·
Registered
660 Posts
i called a parts dept a local dodge and they told me that if i have the 4 pin (which i do) then all i need is the 4 plug to 7 pin adapter that costs $25.

not knowing this (another delearship told/sold me) the entire 7 pin wire harness $85 or something like that.

so the blue wire i was referring to was the one that was part of that assembly which is required if you do not have the 4 pin. the 4 pin is already wired (which i did not know) for brakes.

so all in all i bought the wrong part and i have an extra wire in the cab that i am going to cut off.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
The 4 pin is NOT wired for brakes. The 4 pin has a ground, left turn, right turn and clearance lights. The 7 pin adds the live power to the trailer, electric brakes and backup lights.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.