DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I installed the HTB2 turbo today and as per the advise of another member I just ran a jumper between the two wires for the plug going to the wastegate. Got it installed and it fired right up. While I was all dirty I decided to install my Genos fuel cap so I could hook up my FP guage. I thought I could reuse the rubber O-ring but fuel went everywhere and I realized that the O-ring had squeezed out and needed to be replaced. Got one and installed it and truck started fine but ran a little rough as they sometimes due after a fuel filter change. The idle smoothed out and I took it for a spin and after about 100yds the engine got real loud and "Dieseled" for a split second. I thought maybe I had pushed on the accelerator on accident and continued with my ride. It did it a couple more times during my ride. I got back home and checked for codes and man they just kept coming!!!

P0336 Crankshaft Position Sensor Performance
P0341 Camshaft Position Sensor Performance / Rationality
These two are probably from me hooking up the TST plugs backwards last week but kind of strange that they just showed up.

P0148 Fuel Delivery Error
Possibly from the fuel running out of the canister due to the O-ring pushing out. The truck did run kind of rough when I first started it up but I figured it was because the fuel filter had been in and out and that I probably had an air bubble in the system somewhere. The idle did smooth out before I left for my ride but it did take a couple minutes.

P0073 Ambient Temp Sensor Too High
This one is probably from me starting the engine without the air temp sensor plugged in!!

P0107 Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor Low
P0243 ????

It's the last two that I am not sure of. Anybody know what these mean?? I'm afraid to drive the truck now because it feels like it's gonna die when it starts acting strangely.
Should I have jumpered the two wires in the wastegate plug? Or should I have just plugged it to keep moisture out??

I unhooked the batteries for a little while and then reconnected them. The codes are all gone but the truck was still running rough last time it would start.
I'm pretty sure the turbo has nothing to do with the truck running badly. I think I got air in the fuel system but I don't know how to get rid of it!! I pulled the TST/MP8 off in case she has to go to the dealership and now the truck won't start at all!! It won't even crank! I messed with it for a while but found nothing. While I was sleeping I started thinking about those wire taps that come with the TST. They spread the contacts for the fuses out and when you remove them the contacts stay spread apart!! So, I think that when I put my fuses back in that the one side is not even touching the contacts! I hope that's all the no start issue is!! I've got enough problems already!!!

I think she's gonna end up on the back of a rollback.......

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I stuck one of the wire taps back in the fuse box and the truck started right up. It was running really badly but at least it was running. One thing I did notice was that when the engine starts running badly, the idle jumps up but starts rattling and the amp guage jumps way up too. When the engine jumps back down to normal, so does the amp guage.
I think TST needs a better way to tap into the fuse box. It's kind of crazy that the contacts don't compress back when you remove the taps. If I leave the tap in there and the tech sees it then they may start asking questions about performance boxes. I don't know how I'm going to handle that...

·
Diesel User
1,343 Posts
Why do you need the jumper wire for the wastegate? Does the new turbo have a mechanical wastegate?

MikeyB

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
I knew you just couldn't leave that new truck alone. :D
Hope it all works out for you. I would hate to have a new truck sitting there and not running right, it would drive me crazy.

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is driving me crazy man!!!!
The newer trucks have an electronic wastegate. The HTB2 has a mechanical one. When you pull the stock turbo you are stuck with a two prong plug that goes to the computer. I was told to just jumper this plug but I'm not sure if that was a good idea. I am now told that unless I get some type of boost fooler that I will have to make one with a 100 ohm resistor. I don't know anything about electronics and have no idea what that even is!! Where do you buy resistors???

I wish I would have followed my other instinct and just mowed the grass instead of popping the hood......... :jmad:

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
Find a good alarm and remote start installer. He will know all about resistors, where to get them and how to install them.

·
Diesel User
1,343 Posts
Got a Radio Shack nearby? They have a good selection of resistors.

MikeyB

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Got Diesel? said:
I wish I would have followed my other instinct and just mowed the grass instead of popping the hood......... :jmad:
That stinks man. I know that feeling all too well! :thatfunny

·
Registered
852 Posts
Got Diesel? said:
Well, I installed the HTB2 turbo today and as per the advise of another member I just ran a jumper between the two wires for the plug going to the wastegate. Got it installed and it fired right up. While I was all dirty I decided to install my Genos fuel cap so I could hook up my FP guage. I thought I could reuse the rubber O-ring but fuel went everywhere and I realized that the O-ring had squeezed out and needed to be replaced. Got one and installed it and truck started fine but ran a little rough as they sometimes due after a fuel filter change. The idle smoothed out and I took it for a spin and after about 100yds the engine got real loud and "Dieseled" for a split second. I thought maybe I had pushed on the accelerator on and continued with my ride. It did it a couple more times during my ride. I got back home and checked for codes and man they just kept coming!!!

P0336 shaft Position Sensor Performance
P0341 Camshaft Position Sensor Performance / Rationality
These two are probably from me hooking up the TST plugs backwards last week but kind of strange that they just showed up.

P0148 Fuel Delivery Error
Possibly from the fuel running out of the canister due to the O-ring pushing out. The truck did run kind of rough when I first started it up but I figured it was because the fuel filter had been in and out and that I probably had an air bubble in the system somewhere. The idle did smooth out before I left for my ride but it did take a couple minutes.

P0073 Ambient Temp Sensor Too High
This one is probably from me starting the engine without the air temp sensor plugged in!!

P0107 Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor Low
P0243 ????

It's the last two that I am not sure of. Anybody know what these mean?? I'm afraid to drive the truck now because it feels like it's gonna die when it starts acting strangely.
Should I have jumpered the two wires in the wastegate plug? Or should I have just plugged it to keep moisture out??

I unhooked the batteries for a little while and then reconnected them. The codes are all gone but the truck was still running rough last time it would start.
I'm pretty sure the turbo has nothing to do with the truck running badly. I think I got air in the fuel system but I don't know how to get rid of it!! I pulled the TST/MP8 off in case she has to go to the dealership and now the truck won't start at all!! It won't even ! I messed with it for a while but found nothing. While I was sleeping I started thinking about those wire taps that come with the TST. They spread the contacts for the fuses out and when you remove them the contacts stay spread apart!! So, I think that when I put my fuses back in that the one side is not even touching the contacts! I hope that's all the no start issue is!! I've got enough problems already!!!

I think she's gonna end up on the back of a rollback.......

P0243: Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid A Malfunction

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have my wife picking up the resistors as we speak. I doubt that it's the remedy for rough running issue but at least the turbo will be working right. Maybe it will fix it and I can be happy again. I'm really bummed here at work right now.......

·
Registered
418 Posts
If I had to guess your problems is more elctrical than air in the fuel, if there is air and it starts it will work its way out, the only way to get it out if it doenst start is to crack the fuel lines and look for a bleeder on the pump, which I dont think the Cummins have hired hand ran my V8 CAT out of fuel this spring I had to bleed the pump and all 8 injectors to get it to run again 2hrs and a desiel bath later it was as good as new

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can we all huddle around in a circle and pray that the resistor makes the truck run right?!?!?! I think this guy has caused all this!!:evillaugh

Once it's fixed we will :party0003 like it's 1999!!!

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, :party0003 :cheers: :dwave:

The resistor apparently has fixed the problems and she is purring like a lion right now. Runs great with no boxes on it too. I may just keep it that way.....

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It almost felt like there were spikes of voltage going through that wire that were causing the truck to add fuel when it didn't have the proper amount of boost to support it. I don't know. I'm just happy it is apparently fixed. I'm always apprehensive to say it's fixed until I get a couple days of driving under my belt.......

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, it definitely had a different smell to the exhaust when it was running roughly....

This HTB2 turbo Rocks though!!!! I'm glad I pulled it off the 03.....

·
Registered
418 Posts
running more boost with fuel set at stock what happens is your burning the fuel at alot hotter temp. in some cases hot enough to burn a hole in the piston over the years but if you increase fuel with boost it tends to even back out

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I think there's a "hint-HINT" in there somewhere. Put the boxes back on to get the fuel delivery up to a comparable level with the added boost and air flow! Just watch the EGT's and boost levels till you get a handle on how fast the new engine responds to input. You DO have gauges, RIGHT?!?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.