DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally bought my new Magnum Saturday and I took it on a 100 mile drive town to a family picnic in South Missouri. The ride down was great and the family was impressed. After the picnic we went to the store. When I returned to the car a started the engine and the tried to put the car in gear. The gear shift would not move!? I was holding the brake down and the gear shift just would not budge? We tried everything we could think of and we checked all the fuses. We had to have the car towed to the local dealer. So my wife and kids had to get a ride home (100 miles). The dealer will not be open on Memorial Day. So I have a day old car sitting 100 miles away untill it can be fixed on Tuesday. Let's just say I'm not a happy camper. Anybody have an idea what this could be. I have a theory it is the sensor or switch that detects when the brake is depressed and it is burned out?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Talk about a total bummer! It just ain't right, man. I'm sure the dealer will treat you right...but damn! One week-end old. Sorry for your bad luck. Hang in there dude.

·
Registered
29 Posts
KCWarthog said:
Well I finally bought my new Magnum Saturday and I took it on a 100 mile drive town to a family picnic in South Missouri. The ride down was great and the family was impressed. After the picnic we went to the store. When I returned to the car a started the engine and the tried to put the car in gear. The gear shift would not move!? I was holding the brake down and the gear shift just would not budge? We tried everything we could think of and we checked all the fuses. We had to have the car towed to the local dealer. So my wife and kids had to get a ride home (100 miles). The dealer will not be open on Memorial Day. So I have a day old car sitting 100 miles away untill it can be fixed on Tuesday. Let's just say I'm not a happy camper. Anybody have an idea what this could be. I have a theory it is the sensor or switch that detects when the brake is depressed and it is burned out?
There is a bypass for this.. if you take out the plastic tray beside the shifter you will notice that there is a button near the bottom on the left... if you press this in it will free up the shifter... I believe that info is also in the car manual.. ;) Sorry to hear about your luck so shortly after taking it home. I suppose that if something like that is going to break it's gonna break in the first few hundred km's.

I had about 1500km on mine and the engine light came on.... stopped in at the dealership on the way home and they checked it out and reset the warning. It was an oil sensor that had triggered a warning falsely. Other than that, been a great ride. Wish the trottle response was better.. But suppose that will keep me from racing too much and getting busted.

:cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds like the same problem my mom had. I actually know 3 people who had this same problem, two of them had older cars, but my mom's car is an 05 Maxima. She got it fixed, and it was under warrenty, but the dealer said it was inexpensive anyway. He also mentioned about the overide like the poster above mentioned that you can engage to free up the shifter. She didn't know this and got her car towed. I hope it's this problem, which I'm sure it is. Anyway best of luck and hope you can enjoy the ride, cause it's a pretty solid car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
mine did the same thing after 3 days I found the release by accident then noticed it in the manual. I took it to the dealer the next day they had to adjust the release cable
15 minutes in and out no charge.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help. I just got back from going down and getting the Magnum. I'll take it to the dealer in the morning.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Alan Magyar said:
mine did the same thing after 3 days I found the release by accident then noticed it in the manual. I took it to the dealer the next day they had to adjust the release cable
15 minutes in and out no charge.
oooh, if something like that happened to me and they tried to bill me for it they would REALLY catch an ear full. ;-)

Bumper to bumper warranty.. oh.. except for that. :crazy:

Only thing so far that is annoying is this windshield pop every time I start up and back out of the driveway.. I think there is even a TSB out for it... will have to give them a call sometime and ask.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.